Territory Manager - Diagnostic Products
It's fun to work in a company where people truly believe in what they are doing!
Neogen’s Territory Manager for Diagnostic Products is responsible for developing long term client relationships and conducting direct sales to laboratories within the forensic drug detection toxicology and research markets.
• Products include laboratory based test kits, consumables and equipment for the forensic toxicology drug monitoring and research markets.
The position is responsible for managing and maintaining current and targeted accounts to meet or exceed the assigned territory sales budget. This position requires a candidate with the knowledge and technical skills to acquire new customers from forensic toxicology, reference and academic laboratories while maintaining existing customer relationships.
A candidate should have a Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant life science area such as Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Pharmacology, Immunology or Forensic Toxicology and a minimum of one to two years of related sales experience. 15-30% of time is spent on overnight travel within the territory which is typically one week of overnight travel per month. Territory management experience in a large geographic territory is a plus. The position is based out of Neogen’s office in Lexington KY.
An ideal candidate will have demonstrated success in a sales capacity with a proven track record of building a sales pipeline, building customer relationships, negotiating and closing business deals. The candidate should have excellent verbal and written communication and personal presentation skills. Proficient in the ability to learn and apply technical and scientific knowledge to the sales process. Excellent customer service skills and a high degree of self-motivation and ability to work independently as well as part of a dynamic team.
Responsible for the sales, marketing and technical services of Drug Detection products, for assigned territories, in the Animal Racing/Fair and Human Forensic markets, for assigned territories. For assigned territories, products to include:
Drug Detection Kits (Laboratory Format) for the Racing and Fair Markets. Drug Metabolites Forensic Drug Detection products including test kits, equipment and consumables for the Forensic and Drug Detection Research markets.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
SALES (70% Time):
- Make prospecting calls to inform potential customers of Neogen and the products and services it offers to the racing and fair markets.
- Develop and generate sales revenues to meet or exceed budget sales revenues for products.
- Communicate with existing customer base and sales force on consistent basis to (1) monitor customer satisfaction; (2) resolve customer’s problems and concerns; (3) inform customers of new products/services; and (4) monitor competitive position.
- Ask for customer referrals
- Prepare bids/quotes for all new and existing contracts.
- Maintain customer database using CRM Software Program.
- Assist Accounting in resolving billing or collection problems
- Provide customer service for other product lines in absence of sales staffing.
- Identify international distributors and implement Distribution Management System (DMS).
- Write distributor agreements, initiate renewals on a timely basis.
- Document customer questions and answers, forward to distributors on a quarterly basis.
Customer/Center of Influence Contacts – 300 Month
Personal Visits = 25 per year
MARKETING (10% Time):
- Assist in the development of marketing plans and strategies to penetrate new markets and increase growth and profitability in current markets.
- Identify, coordinate, attend and analyze industry trade shows and meetings to (1) promote products and services; (2) increase market and competitive knowledge; and (3) assist in identifying new products for distribution, OEM or development.
- Assist in purchasing mail and customer lists to assist in reaching new customers and penetrating new markets.
- Assist in development and maintaining promotional and technical materials utilizing Neogen’s Communication Department and the Technical Service Representative.
- Assist in completing and maintaining competitive analysis.
- Document product requests by customers or potential clients.
- Read industry publications to keep abreast of industry; share articles of interest with organization.
- Assist in developing promotional programs and monitor results.
- Assist in conducting market analysis and research.
TECHNICAL SUPPORT (15% Time)
- Review and provide input for product inserts and technical data sheets.
- Document customer complaints and problems and coordinate efforts with the Technical Service Representative.
- Document Customer Question and Answers and coordinate efforts with the Technical Service Representative.
- Monitor customer satisfaction, provide input on recurring problems and suggest organizational changes when appropriate.
- Assist customers with application questions related to the forensic product line. Work with designated technical service representative as appropriate.
Automated Equipment Support
- Master the use of the in-house automated analyzers sold by the Diagnostic sales group. Be able to create protocols, set-up assay runs, train new customers on how to set-up and use the system(s) and assist in conducting demonstrations on the instrument both in-house, at the customer’s facility and using the on-line presentation programs.
- Assist customers with adapting Neogen’s assays to the automated instrument (s) by validation of appropriate sample dilution panels for the customer’s designated drug cutoffs.
- Travel will be required to help support technical and sales efforts for the automated instrument(s).
- Continue education related to competitive automated instruments.
BUSINESS AND PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT (5% Time):
- Assist in evaluating the new market applications for drug testing kits.
- Assist and conduct market evaluation and prioritization of products for development, distribution or OEM widen product line offering.
- Provide input on product packaging to the Director of Diagnostic Sales.
- Participate in annual budgeting process.
- Analyze and control expenditures to conform to budgetary requirements.
- Assist in designing pricing and discount schedules for existing and new products.
- Work with Production Manager to establish shipping schedules and protocols.
- Work with Senior Director of Diagnostics, Director of Diagnostic Sales, Diagnostic Sales & Technical Service Manager and Diagnostic Marketing Manager on product or competitive studies related to designated product lines and markets.
The following reports and forms are to be completed as established under sales department procedures:
- Monthly Sales Recap
- Sales Plan of Actions
- Annual Sales and Marketing Budget in designated territory
- Question and Answer Form
- Customer Complaint Form.
- Sales/Intercompany Lead Form.
- Product Request and Market Analysis Forms
- New Product Planning Manuals
- Trade Shows Planning & Analysis Forms.
- Purchase Orders.
- Call Reports
- Expense Reports
- Misc. reports & projects as directed by Director of Diagnostic Sales.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree from a four-year college or university; a degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry or Forensics preferred.
- One or two years related experience and a clear understanding of the forensic or drug detection markets.
- Proven ability to sell and market products or services.
- Ability to interface with management on appropriateness of potential product and market applications.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general scientific and laboratory periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures and government regulations. Ability to write correspondence, reports, standard procedures and complete production paperwork. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from mangers, regulatory agents and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL AND COMPUTER SKILLS
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference and fundamentals of scientific analysis such as mean, median, mode, coefficient of variation and standard deviation.
Direct experience with Windows-based computers, use of personal computer, keyboard and software packages including: Windows, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project, Outlook, and CRM. Computer used in 70% of job activities.
Ability to define problems collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Travel: Must have a valid driver’s license, auto insurance, own vehicle transportation, and passport; 25 – 30% of time spent on overnight travel; international travel may apply.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
HOURS OF WORK The standard hours of work will be 8:00am - 5:00pm with occasional hours of 9 – 6pm and additional time or different hours due to special projects, department phone coverage and/or travel.
Come Be Part Of A Mission that Matters!
From inside the farm gate to our dinner plates, Neogen protects the world’s food supply. Through a variety of animal healthcare products, to food safety solutions for dangerous bacteria, allergens, toxins, drug residues and much more, Neogen is there — and you can be too.