Associate Director, US Patient Advocacy
Associate Director, US Patient Advocacy
Location: Boston, MA
Reporting to: VP of Public Affairs and Stakeholder Engagement
Orchard Therapeutics is a leading global, fully integrated, commercial-stage biotech dedicated to transforming the lives of patients with rare diseases through innovative gene therapies.
Partnering with world-leading research institutions in gene therapy, Orchard's portfolio of autologous ex vivo gene therapy programs has demonstrated sustained clinical benefit in over 150 patients across five disease areas. These programs include Strimvelis®, the first autologous ex vivo gene therapy approved by the EMA in 2016, 3 programs in advanced registrational studies in MLD (metachromatic leukodystrophy), WAS (Wiskott Aldrich syndrome) and ADA-SCID (adenosine deaminase severe combined immunodeficiency), 2 other clinical programs in X-CGD (X-linked chronic granulomatous disease) and betathalassemia, as well as an extensive preclinical pipeline
Orchard is a publicly traded company (NASDAQ: ORTX) with offices in the UK and the US, including London, San Francisco and Boston.
Orchard Therapeutics seeks a proactive and energetic patient advocacy leader to manage Patient Advocacy efforts in the US, supporting Orchard's commitment to building strong relationships and partnerships with rare disease patient advocacy community and patient families. This person will manage efforts to ensure the patient perspective is integrated into Orchard's transformative gene therapy approach. The position is based in Boston and will report to the Vice President of Public Affairs & Stakeholder Engagement.
- Contribute to assessing opportunities and helping to build patient advocacy infrastructure and function in the US that delivers on Orchard's overall vision for patient engagement
- Develop new and deep existing patient advocacy relationships within rare disease space in the US
- Manage strategic, US patient advocacy programs and partnerships related to disease awareness and education, diagnosis access, in collaboration with cross-functional peers
- Support clinical trial awareness and patient identification initiatives across the portfolio
- Enhance the patient-centric culture within the company and lead a collection of patient and family insights to inform key corporate efforts
- Facilitate awareness and access to patient resources, support services and solutions among patient communities
- Foster strong partnerships with EU patient advocacy counterpart(s), public affairs, marketing, market access, legal and regulatory to ensure alignment on objectives and opportunities with regards to advocacy engagement
- Partner with medical affairs and clinical to ensure patient inquiries about our programs are rapidly addressed
- Manage grant and sponsorship distribution
- Ensure Orchard's commitment to patient advocacy is visible at various rare disease and gene therapy conferences and symposium, planning key engagements at major conferences
- 7+ years of relevant experience
- Experience with and demonstrated ability to champion voice of rare disease patients
- Knowledge of legal, regulatory and compliance environment surrounding rare disease patient advocacy in the pharmaceutical industry
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship-building skills, high emotional intelligence; ability to successfully influence without authority and effectively work across functions and personalities
- BA/BS in Communications (or relevant field) and advanced degree in public health or health policy preferred
- Excellent judgment when making decisions; always considers the relevance/impact of each decision on the business; excellent budget management and organization skills essential
- Superior presentation, education and meeting facilitation skills
- Excellent follow-through, attention to detail and high sense of urgency
- Flexible and able to successfully navigate ambiguity and succeed in a rapidly changing, fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with multiple priorities
- High energy, motivated and aggressive about getting results and growing our company every day
- Willingness to travel (50%+) domestically and occasionally abroad
Orchard Therapeutics is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Notice to All Applicants: Orchard Therapeutics participates in E-Verify
All employment offers and CV's are managed through our Human Resources Department and all candidates are presented through this avenue. Therefore, the Human Resources Department at Orchard Therapeutics requests that recruiters are not to contact Orchard Therapeutics employees directly to present candidates. Complying with this request will be a factor in determining future professional relationships with Orchard Therapeutics. Orchard Therapeutics will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates for either current or future positions. Submission of unsolicited resumes in advance of an agreement between the Human Resources Department and the recruiter does not create any implied obligation on the part of Orchard Therapeutics.