Senior Scientist I, Immunology/ Fibrosis Drug Discovery and Validation
AbbVie Cambridge Research Center in Cambridge, MA is seeking a Senior Scientist to join their team to interrogate human and animal tissue to understand immune-mediated and fibrotic diseases using omics technologies and informatics capabilities to identify and validate disease pathophysiology and potential new drug targets. The position requires experience with immune and fibrosis-mediated pathogenic mechanisms, use of omics technologies and omics analytic techniques and use of in vitro and pre-clinical animal models for validation of drug targets. The position also requires experience with high throughput screening assays employing CRISPR/RNAi-mediated knockdowns and/or small molecule-mediated inhibition. The Discovery Senior Scientist will be responsible for objective evaluation and risk assessment of project directions with responsibility for proactive go/no go milestones.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Primary responsibility is scientific excellence with a demonstrated record of immunology publications as supportive documentation of scientific excellence.
- The Senior Scientist will work with several teams in support of omics analyses and drug discovery and will drive strategy to achieve new target identification.
- The individual will be a member of the Foundational Immunology team which is primarily responsible for early discovery portfolio advancement.
- The individual will devise and implement high throughput screening technologies using immune cells and/or other cell types and interface with genomics technology groups and chemistry groups at AbbVie. The individual will also be responsible for devising validation strategies for hits identified under the guidance of Director or Principal Scientist.
- The individual will be required to demonstrate scientific excellence and use of best practices across teams, and will identify project targets and/or innovative technologies and prioritize goals and milestones within the context of overall strategy, resource availability, competitive dynamics, and functional goals.
- Leadership responsibilities will include coordinating resources across Abbvie teams, identifying and filling gaps in technology and/or capacity, sourcing and overseeing external resources, and identifying and applying new technologies. When possible, the Senior Scientist will be given the opportunity to autonomously lead a small team under indirect guidance of a Director or Principal Scientist.
- With assistance from manager, identifies high impact external opportunities including different technologies to promote target identification and works with legal and licensing and helps to negotiate external research alliances to promote new target identification.
- Accomplishes long term and short-term project goals in collaboration with group leaders and project team members.
- Exemplifies advanced knowledge level, perception and intuition across a broad range of scientific disciplines, especially Immunology.
- BS, MS or PhD with typically 10+ (BS), 8+ (MS) or 0+ (PhD) years of postdoctoral, academic faculty and/or industry experience in immunology and immune-mediated diseases required
- Experience with genetics and genomics analysis of human samples, including RNA sequencing and genotyping
- Experience with high throughput in vitro genomics and/or chemical screening technologies
- Experience with direct supervision of research laboratory experiments using animal and human samples for in vitro assays
- Experience with direct supervision of research laboratory experiments using animal models of disease and PD models
- Experience with large external consortia, including public-private partnerships with academic investigators
- Experience in using bioinformatics methods to analyze results from high throughput methods