Development Lead - Next Generation
Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global biopharmaceutical company whose mission is to discover, develop and deliver innovative medicines that help patients prevail over serious diseases.
One shared journey is moving us forward at Bristol-Myers Squibb. Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious disease. Empowered to apply our individual talents and ideas so that we can learn and grow together. Driven to make a difference, from innovative research to hands-on community support. Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
As a Next Generation Development Team (NGDT) Lead in Oncology, this leader is accountable to Oncology Development, R&D and Company Leadership for: (i) creating a vision, and defining the strategy and development plan for each exploratory asset within their portfolio, (ii) developing a set of objective criteria against which each asset advancing through the BMS Oncology Research pipeline will be evaluated to enable robust and rapid decision making; and (iii) ensuring that only high quality and differentiated assets enter the full development pipeline. The NGDT Leader will oversee a multi-disciplinary team typically responsible for multiple oncology development assets, with a focus on immuno-oncology, from later stage Discovery (DP3) through transition to Full Development.
Strategy & Execution
• Uses an understanding of disease biology in immunology and oncology, the early-stage drug development process (particularly cross-functional connectivity), and relevant late-stage challenges (e.g., trends in disease area, regulatory, and market access) to create a vision, then design and execute effective exploratory development programs in support of the overall R&D portfolio goals.
• Effectively engages cross company expertise and utilizes advisory groups and governance bodies (e.g., TPC, Oncology Development LT, PSC) to define, revise and champion asset development strategies and implementation plans.
• Continually analyzes progress, engages in critical thinking, and asserts strong problem-solving toward delivering key data and interpretation essential for robust and rapid decision making on assigned projects.
• Delivers high quality assets to Full Development which have the potential for a competitive profile to address the unmet medical needs of patients and to provide favorable shareholder return.
• Ensures the process and output of the team meets established program standards (per PD&C Process expectations, within budget, on schedule, compliant, etc.), while also looking for opportunities to streamline development and enable continuous improvements without compromising quality.
• Engages senior leaders and functional area stakeholders to ensure alignment of program strategy and operational plans with functional area capabilities, and clearly communicates program risks, implications of changes in the competitive landscape and progress toward key milestones.
Leadership & Matrix Alignment
• Forward looking, objective matrix leader with demonstrated ability to frame issues, ask the right clarifying questions, and rationalize decisions in a cost disciplined manner, with an enterprise view.
• Experience/judgment to efficiently integrate information from team members/key advisors to facilitate making rapid and objective decisions.
• Sets goals and objectives for asset development; ensures aligned functional and individual objectives (for self and team members) across the BMS matrix to accomplish the asset development plan.
• Oversees relevant sub-teams and ensures clear goals and performance standards are in place, provides feedback and coaching, appropriately delegates responsibilities, and holds sub-team leaders accountable for key deliverables.
• Builds, proactively manages, and professionally develops a high performing team with diverse perspectives
• Builds productive peer to peer relationships with functional heads of all groups that interact with the NGDT to ensure optimal functional area cooperation and resource support needed for optimal delivery on NGDT goals and overall portfolio priorities.
ESSENTIAL LEADERSHIP BEHAVIORS
Strategy and Vision
Be a strategic thinker who is able to articulate vision in a rapidly changing environment and in concert with enterprise strategy. Demonstrate strong business acumen and problem solving skills. Able to flex well between enterprise and functional orientation. Able to effectively manage complexity and competing priorities.
Leadership with Expertise
While expertise is critical when leading, it is about wisdom not technical/scientific expertise at this level of leadership. Ability to rise above the technical elements and focus more on the insights and implications. Success is more a function of ability to create followership and bring people along vs. expertise and knowledge in specific subject areas.
External Focus/Customer Orientation
Develops and maintains relationships with key external stakeholders, including thought leaders, advocacy and disease organizations.
Team & Organization Leadership
Proven leadership experience and success with building and developing teams. Ability to attract and retain top talent. Committed to talent development and diversification. Inspirational and embodies BMS Behaviors. Leads by example. Is an inclusive leader. Leads with fairness but high expectations on accountability.
Judgment & Business Ethics
Demonstrates impeccable business ethics. Adheres to an appropriate and effective set of core values and beliefs, and acts in line with those values. Operates with independence, and possesses the confidence and fortitude to take principled positions.
Impact & Influence
Ability to work effectively in a matrix environment that includes interactions with multiple stakeholder groups; particularly demonstrated ability to work across the critical interfaces whether within RD or across the enterprise. Able to cut across silos/straddle boundaries. Excellent communication and presentation skills, high level negotiation skills and the ability to resolve conflict in a constructive manner. Communicates effectively at all levels of the organization, including senior management. Acts as a credible, influential, and respected spokesperson for R&D - whether internally or externally
Delivers results with a focus on efficiency, effectiveness and robust decision making. Focuses not only on what is to be achieved but how it is achieved. Has an eye for detail, and is able to stay focused on the big picture. Track record of consistent strong performance over time
Willingness to take educated risks in moving the business needs forward. Questions how it can be done better. Willing to break traditions and test boundaries - tests the status quo. Is flexible and nimble, able to adapt to changing environmental conditions. Demonstrates courage and persistence.
DESIRED BACKGROUND, KNOWLEDGE, AND EXPERIENCE
• MD , PhD, DVM, PharmD, MBA, or equivalent advanced degree of relevance
• Experienced drug developer with 10+ years' experience in the drug development process, with particular in-depth know how and experience in the exploratory development space.
• Deep understanding of the role of basic biology, pharmaceutical optimization, and translational medicine in exploratory development
• Strong understanding of relevant regulatory health authority expectations and regulations for drug development, with a focus on exploratory development but with an understanding of implications toward full development
• Working knowledge of all functional areas of exploratory development, including chemistry/biochemistry, biology, toxicology, CMC, translational medicine, early clinical development, etc.
• Demonstrated scientific acumen and mechanistic understanding of disease biology in immunology and oncology
• Ability to create a clear purpose, global vision, strategies and key priorities for competing successfully in the evolving pharmaceutical and health care industry
• Demonstrated ability to execute Development Plans which have global perspective and focus on product differentiation, including opportunities for data driven acceleration
• Demonstrated ability to objectively assess complex but relatively sparse data sets and make informed decisions and take action in the face of uncertainty.
• Experience in successfully managing and leading high performing, cross-functional matrix teams or complex multi-functional organizations
• Ability to effectively and seamlessly multitask across multiple exploratory development assets.
• Demonstrated ability to successfully and effectively cooperate, collaborate and work across functional boundaries