Associate Director, Market Analysis
Santen is a specialized pharmaceutical company focused exclusively on ophthalmology in global markets around the world with more than 3,500 employees and sales in approximately 60 countries. Santen Inc., located in Emeryville, CA, contributes important ophthalmic research and development efforts worldwide and is home to our regional business teams. This office currently employs about 140 people and will grow by 50%+ in the near future.
With the passionate support of our Japanese parent company and its 125-year heritage, Santen is pursuing intellectually-challenging and stimulating work to deliver game-changing therapies that make hope a reality for people facing vision impairment and loss.
We are driven by and committed to our mission: Delivering Vision, Every Day. Additionally, our Corporate Strategy Policy for FY18-FY20 has provided essential focus for new commercialization efforts that will be fueled through an unprecedented increase in marketing investment and talent acquisition across Marketing, Sales, and R&D teams.
We are in search of top talent to help us meet our aggressive and important goals.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
This position will report to the Head of Commercial in Emeryville, CA. The position will provide unbiased, objective, in-depth information on current and future markets, product performance, customers and competitors. The position will identify critical business issues and opportunities for growth, collaborate with Santen teams, and work to embed an external market point-of-view into the strategic direction of the company. Additionally, they will assume responsibility for activities that support the Strategic Marketing function, as follows: performing intelligence gathering and information analysis primarily related to the ophthalmic industry (disease market, unmet needs, commercial intelligence and competition, etc.) and, more broadly, for the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries; playing a key role in managing interactions between Strategic Marketing and various internal functional teams including Global Marketing, Portfolio Strategy, R&D, Medical Affairs, Market Access, and Market Research. This position will be expected to take on increasing responsibilities and autonomy as circumstances allow.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND KEY DELIVERABLES:
- Evaluates the market landscape, monitor changes, predict trends in market dynamics and competition, and creates, validates and refines long-range forecasts for product and market.
- Provides an objective market viewpoint based on an in-depth understanding and analysis of customer and environmental information and acts as a lead internal consultant to the senior management and stakeholders across marketing, sales, managed care marketing, clinical, regulatory, finance, manufacturing, and other functions, to support strategic decision making and help maximize Santen's product portfolio.
- Support product pre-launch market assessment and planning;
- Conduct disease space and market situational analysis;
- Support and conduct pipeline products commercial evaluation and assumption/forecast development;
- Manage the collection and analysis of industry and competitive intelligence utilizing both primary and secondary information sources;
- Work with Market Research and Analytics in market research needs and outcome definition;
- Prepare reports and presentations for management.
- BA/BS in Marketing, Economics, Life or Physical Sciences or equivalent required, with a MBA strongly preferred
- Thorough understanding of global pharmaceutical industry experience in the ophthalmic pharmaceutical or medical device sector is highly desirable
- Minimum of 8 years in the biotech and/or pharmaceutical industry in one or more of the following; commercial planning, market analytics or market research, marketing, competitive intelligence functions, business valuation
- An understanding of the processes of pre-marketing planning, product launch preparation, commercial assessment and evaluation, and portfolio management combined with a strong scientific and business acumen is desirable
- Prior experience in dealing with and managing consulting vendors, physician key opinion leaders, and healthcare providers in general
- Strong command of a variety of analytical and market research techniques, sought out as an analytical expert and, more importantly, as a strategic advisor. Grasps key issues quickly, understands the "big picture" and links market insights to larger issues
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; Excellent, creative and demonstrated problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to speak and to interact with a diverse group of individuals on technical and business topics in an international arena
- Thorough understanding of the diversity of cultural business practices