Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., located in the North San Diego County city of Carlsbad, was founded in 1989 and was purposely designed to create a better, more efficient drug discovery platform, establish a new innovation-centered business model, and maximize the value of every medicine created and get it to the people who need it most as quickly and as efficiently as possible.
With the RNA molecule as the basis of our novel drug discovery platform, we are targeting an unprecedented range of therapeutic areas. Our antisense therapies are disrupting diseases and changing their course—from the rarest of conditions, to those that impact millions of people. We currently have three commercial products and more than 40 potentially transformative medicines in our pipeline designed to treat a broad range of diseases.
Ionis is a challenging, motivating and rewarding environment designed to foster innovation and scientific excellence. Our success is a direct result of our outstanding employees. We are interested in bringing together individuals with different skill sets into this creative environment to be part of a productive team. Join us and experience our unique culture while you develop and expand your career.
The selected candidate will work in the Core Antisense Research department with a multi-disciplinary team of energetic researchers who are focused on unraveling the complex mechanisms underlying antisense oligonucleotide (ASO) drugs. The emphasis will be on understanding mechanisms of ASO action in cells and especially intracellular trafficking pathways of ASOs.
- Responsible for investigating how ASO drugs work in cells, with a goal to improve drug design and to expand antisense technology
- Specifically study how ASO drugs enter and traffic inside cells, the ASO release mechanisms from endosomes and intracellular action sites of ASOs
- Identify ways to improve efficient ASO release from endosomes
- Build on our understanding of the mechanisms of ASO-directed, RNase H cleavage of target RNAs
- Conduct studies to understand the mechanisms of how antisense drugs work in cells using different techniques including but not limited to cell culture, confocal imaging, DNA/Protein and essentially RNA manipulation, gene expression manipulation, structure-activity relationship study, protein/RNA/Oligonucleotide subcellular localization and trafficking analysis using both biochemistry and cell biology approaches
- Present and publish research data
- D. in Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, or related field - obtained within the last 3 years
- Broad knowledge and experimental experience with cell biology, including cytoskeleton, membrane, vesicular trafficking, and endocytosis
- Skills/experience in confocal imaging, protein and RNA tagging and visualization in cells required; super resolution imaging skills highly preferred
- Experience in studying nucleic acid-protein interactions, RNA biology, and antisense technology is desired
- Track record of innovative research and scientific publications in a related field
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and oral communication skills
- An ability to work both independently and as a team member, and be productive and successful in an intense work environment
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
Please visit our website, www.ionispharma.com, for more information about Ionis.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and all its subsidiaries are proud to be EEO employers.