Medical Science Liaison - North East Region
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is a field based extension of Theravance Medical Affairs. The MSL is a highly trained and credentialed team member with proven expertise within pulmonary diseases and/or critical care. The key role of the MSL is to serve as a scientific resource to Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) and Healthcare Practitioners (HCPs) in the field. The MSLs are trained to conduct high level scientific exchange with KOLs and HCPs. The scientific exchange is always presented in a non-biased way and provides fair balance. The MSL will function on a peer-to-peer relationship-based level while engaging National, Regional and Local experts across their respective geography. The MSL will report to the National Field Director, Medical Affairs for Theravance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Build and strengthen professional relationships with institutional–based national and regional KOLs, clinicians and appropriate professional hospital-based colleagues.
- Serve as a key clinical/scientific resource to these KOLs and institutions.
- Maintain thorough and up-to-date knowledge of disease state, clinical and scientific information, product data and professional trends in pulmonary diseases, infectious diseases (bacterial), and related areas.
- Serve as a field resource to provide critical competitive intelligence through one-on-ones, group presentations and attendance at medical meetings and appropriately communicate information back internally.
- Provide field-based support and collaborate cross-functionally with Medical Affairs, Director of Publications, Project Teams, Clinical &/or R&D by facilitation of Investigator-Initiated Research (IIRs) and other research initiatives.
- Provide technical support to field commercial in training Institutional Account Manager’s (IAMs) as necessary.
- Support the Speaker’s Bureau program through speaker development and training
- Lead and execute regionally based advisory boards as requested.
- Deliver accurate and fair balanced medical presentations to a variety of audiences as deemed appropriate.
- Timely and accurate completion of all administrative responsibilities of the role.
- Maintain operational compliance at all times.
- Advanced clinical/health science degree: PharmD, PhD, MD, MS or equivalent; Board Certification a plus
- Minimum two years’ experience within pulmonary diseases and/or critical care.
- Fellowship or residency in pulmonary diseases or critical care preferred
- Industry MSL experience highly preferred.
- Hospital-based pulmonary or critical care practice experience preferred.
- Established track record of effective oral presentations
- Expertise in critically evaluating the appropriate literature
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Knowledge of FDA compliance and regulatory requirements
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated expertise in drug information communication
- Ability to integrate and work in cross functional network
- Ability to travel, locally and regionally combined, up to 70% weekly as well as nationally for major medical/scientific and company meetings.
- Valid driver’s license
The physical demands and environmental characteristics described below are representative of those that must be met by the incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
The incumbent will be required to sit, stand and walk for extended periods of time (at a work station, meeting room or transportation seat) The ability to travel via multiple transportation modes is also required to perform the functions of the job.
The incumbent may be required to climb, bend, lift, carry and kneel. Because of the volume of work performed by computer and telephone, the incumbent will spend time looking at computer monitors and using his/her hands to operate office equipment.
The position requires a home office appropriately set up to support professional conduct of duties and communications. The role also entails 60% travel for field visits attendance at national meetings and periodic visits to the Theravance Biopharma office.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.