Director Science & Biotechnology (Bioengineering/Bioprocessing)
Join us at AllCells and help shape the future of biotech. Our diverse backgrounds in hematology, immunology, biotech and business fuel our creativity to find new solutions for our customers. Whether it's providing the highest quality cells to researchers around the world or supporting them in finding the next breakthrough. AllCells is looking for the best minds to help meet the changing demands of scientific research. At AllCells, you'll play an important role in staying a step ahead of what researchers need, and shaping the processes and solutions that make their jobs easier. Come be a part of the future of AllCells.
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Sciences and Biotechnology Team (SBT) will be responsible for scientific and technical innovation in the area of hematopoietic and immune cell isolation and characterization. The Director will develop and execute on short- and long-term scientific and technical strategies and align them with the business goals of the company. This is a hands on role that will also lead SBT, which is the source of technical and scientific expertise in primary human hematopoietic stem cell and immune cell isolation, and phenotypic and functional cell characterization assays. The team drives improving cell enrichment and isolation process yields, efficiencies and monitoring, developing cell product characterization assays to meet state-of-the-art standards, and identify, evaluate and implement semi- and fully automated cell processing systems at large scale. This role is also responsible for providing scientific technical support to external clients and work cross functionally with all teams at AllCells.
- Identify and prioritize opportunities within current manufacturing processes to improve quality, efficiency, yield and /or cost
- Design and execute process development and/or improvement and assay development and/or improvement projects
- Document current and write new SOPs for manufacturing processes
- Perform, analyze and interpret results from a broad spectrum of in vitro cell-based assays such as, but not limited to flow cytometry, in vitro differentiation, in vitro functional assays (e.g., cytokine production, activation, differentiation, MLR, etc.)
- Effectively communicate results and recommendations to technical and non-technical internal audiences via reports and presentations
- Investigate internal product non-conformances and process deviations and make recommendations based on findings
- Provide scientific technical support to internal and external customers working with primary cells
- Contribute to scientific strategy and budget planning to achieve department goals
- Assess feasibility and costs of custom assay and product requests
- Be current with scientific literature and developments related to research using primary hematopoietic and immune cells.
- Comply with all company laboratory safety procedures and policies
- Manage, mentor, and lead a team of research associates and scientists to support company objectives
- Masters in Bioengineering, Bioprocessing, Cell Biology, Immunology, Stem Cell Biology or a related field. PhD candidates preferred
- Minimum eight years of relevant laboratory experience working with primary cells. Work with hematopoietic stem and progenitor and/or immune cells a plus
- Three or more years experience leading or managing a team
- Expertise with flow cytometry and in vitro cell-based assays
- Expertise with SOP documentation and quality systems
- Have a broad understanding and kept up to date of the biomedical research and drug development field with familiarity with cell and gene therapy research highly desirable
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with internal and external customers about biomedical research applications using primary cells
- Ability to think independently,creatively, and collaboratively within a team environment
- Critical analytical skills to drive data-based decisions
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in scientific and business computer applications such as, but not limited to, FlowJo, MS Word, MS Excel, Powerpoint and equivalent Google applications.
What AllCells Offers:
AllCells offers a competitive salary and benefits package. For our full time employees, we offer medical, dental, vision, and life insurance. We also offer long/short term disability, 401K, FSA, vacation, sick, holidays, and a bonus program. We are located in Alameda, CA and easily accessible from BART and the Ferry.