Amgen is seeking a Data Engineer to help realize Amgen's Global Medical Analytics transformation strategy by developing a state-of-the-art analytical foundation platform that will enable generation of cross-capability business insights. The Data Engineer will be building upon our awarded Enterprise Data Lake to develop value added data products that span across Global Medical capabilities (Field Medical, Medical Communication, Medical Information, Publication, Evidence Generations and Insights). There is no more challenging data environment than Life Sciences due to the integration of scientific research, manufacturing, logistics of pharmaceutical products. You can expect to make a difference in providing patients with products that meet their medical needs in a competitive landscape.
Successful candidates will have:
- The requisite technical skills;
- The learning ability to absorb the nuances of a large bio-tech global medical operations function;
- High personal standards of productivity and quality;
- The ability to contribute in a collaborative and fast paced environment;
Key Activities for the Data Engineer include:
- Build data micro services which perform data transformation, metadata extraction, workload management and error processing management.
- Implement standardized, automated operational and quality control processes to deliver accurate and timely data analytics and reporting needs.
- Contribute to the exploration and understanding of new tools, and techniques and propose improvements to the data pipeline
- Integrate the operations data platform with analytical tools such as Spotfire, the Data Scientist workbench, the Data Marketplace, etc.
- Collaborate with Data Architects, Business SME's, and Data Scientists to architect data products and services.
- Act as a run manager, provide Run/DevOps support.
- Assesses risks and options to maintain and fix production issues.
- Own and manage product backlog delivery.
Master's degree and 3 years of Information Systems experience
Bachelor's degree and 3 years of Information Systems experience
Associate degree and 5 years of Information Systems experience
High school diploma / GED and 8 years of Information Systems experience
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field
- Experience with MuleSoft integration, Informatica platform, Spotfire data visualization Tool
- Experience with data modeling and tuning of relational as well as NoSQL datastores (Oracle, Red-shift, Impala, HDFS/Hive, Athena, etc.) and data pipeline and workflow management tools: Airflow, etc.
- Experience with distributed computing tools (Spark, Hive, etc.)
- Experience with AWS cloud services: EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift, S3, Lambda
- 3+ years of experience in:
- Architecting and building processes that extract, process and add value to data sets from multiple source systems.
- Working with leading agile development methodologies such as Sprint and Scrum
- Experience with Software engineering best-practices, including but not limited to version control (Git, TFS, Subversion, etc.), CI/CD (Jenkins, Maven, Gradle, etc.), automated unit testing, DevOps.
Additional experience that would a plus:
- Experience with semantic technologies and approaches.
- Biotech / Pharma exposure.
- Full stack development using infrastructure cloud services (AWS preferred) and cloud-native tools and design patterns (Containers, Serverless, Docker, etc) is a plus.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Our culture is what makes Amgen a special place to work. We have a powerful shared purpose around our mission - to serve patients. We respect one another, recognize contributions, and have embedded collaboration, trust, empowerment and inclusion in all that we do.
We equip all our staff members to live well-rounded, healthy lives. Most recently, Amgen added benefits for transgender employees and continues to pride itself on industry-leading, family-friendly offerings for families of all compositions.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and uses its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.#LI-SF5
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.