NGM Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. is a clinical stage biotech company dedicated to discovering and developing the next generation of medicines for the treatment of serious diseases. Our experienced scientific team has joined forces with an impressive group of industry professionals, Nobel Laureates and other distinguished researchers to form a company where innovation and cutting-edge science has provided the foundation for a robust drug discovery engine. To date, NGM Bio has generated a pipeline of seven drug candidates in various stages of development targeting liver, metabolic and ophthalmic diseases and cancer. The most advanced drug candidate, NGM282, is entering Phase 2b clinical studies in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). NGM’s strategic collaboration with Merck, which was extended to March 2022, will continue to provide us with the resources and flexibility to pursue our ambitious R&D goals and further extend our pipeline of novel drug candidates.
We are currently looking for an enthusiastic and highly motivated data scientist to join our fledgling bioinformatics group. Biological research is quickly becoming inundated with large amounts of data and most biologists are not equipped with the tools to take full advantage of it. A successful candidate is expected to play an active role in building, maintaining, and improving the database infrastructure and capabilities at NGM that currently support the research of more than 100 scientists. They will also enable the implementation of new technologies and support the analysis and visualization of complex data for the purposes of target and biomarker discovery.
- Expertise in biology, experience conducting biological research, and a demonstrated passion for the collection and analysis of complex biological data.
- Design, implement and support informatics solutions in support of research and development including Electronic Lab Notebooks (ELN), Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) and sample management.
- Apply data science techniques to better understand, visualize and learn from complex biological and clinical data.
- Work directly with scientists to understand their informatics needs and implement creative solutions.
- Stay abreast of latest scientific and technology advancements in the field
- Present results to senior management and other research staff
- Biologist with demonstrated experience in data science or a Data Scientist with an advanced understanding of biological research.
- PhD with 0-3 years of experience or BS/MS with 3+ years of experience, and a track record of solving informatics issues in biological systems.
- Proficiency in SQL is required, comfort in Python or another equivalent programming language and experience working with APIs is preferred.
- Ability to communicate the rationale for, use-of, and logic behind technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Fluency in basic biological concepts to facilitate technical discussions with research staff.
Excellent teamwork and collaboration skills
Independent, innovative and creative thinker
Must be able to work in a fast paced, changing environment and manage multiple competing responsibilities with a high degree of self-motivation.
Demonstrated ability to work in a cross-functional environment
Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
Strong organization and time management skills
NGM offers a creative, collaborative, highly challenging scientific environment, along with a strong compensation package that includes salary, stock options, 401(k) and a comprehensive benefits package.
Interested applicants should click "Apply"