Pacific Biosciences is looking for a highly motivated, organized, and team-oriented Senior Scientist to develop protein based products for the SMRT™ Sequencing system.
This position will be part of the development and manufacturing team to assist commercialization of cutting edge third generation sequencing technology. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing robust, efficient, and scalable purification processes for proteins products related to SMRT technology. They will be expected to provide technical leadership to ensure efficient and timely execution of strategic plans. The position will focus on process design, unit operation scale-up, and applying rigorous scientific and engineering principles and approaches to all aspects of purification process development. They will interact with the R&D team and assist in the discovery of new protein products.
- Prepare internal project planning and technical reports for process development.
- Design and execute purification strategies leading to effective scaled-up protein manufacturing processes.
- Identify opportunities for process improvements, plan, design, and execute studies to improve manufacturing process.
- Identify, design, and develop analytical test methods for protein products.
- Plan and execute test method validations.
- Establish relationship between analytical specs and product performance, as well as physical specs and manufacturing capabilities.
- Conduct and complete protein production builds.
- Assist R&D on protein purification projects.
- Advanced degree in Biochemistry, Protein Chemistry, Molecular Biology, or related scientific discipline.
- PhD with 3-5 or MSc with 6-10 years experience in development of chromatography based purification processes in Life Sciences Industry.
- Broad knowledge in biotech industry with understanding and experience in rational design of purification processes for recombinant proteins.
- Experience working with affinity chromatography, IEX, HIC, and SEC, preferably for recombinant protein from bacterial expression system.
- Substantial experience with automated chromatography stations such as AKTA FPLCs.
- Experience in analytical tools used for characterization of enzymes, experience in analytical methodologies for protein characterization including HPLC, enzyme kinetics, protein quantification, spectrophotometer, spectrofluorometer, SDS-PAGE.
- A successful track record of developing and manufacturing protein based commercial products.
- Purification process development experience in Polymerases and other DNA binding proteins a plus.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Good knowledge of regulatory requirements and experience in manufacturing of protein products under ISO environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, strong collaborative and team work attributes.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.