Senior Scientist Med Chem
The Senior Scientist will play a key role in the application of synthetic organic chemistry in the area of medicinal chemistry for drug discovery efforts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Develops novel and efficient synthesis, coordinates research strategies and activities with team members and conducts the synthesis of complex target molecules
• Designs synthetic targets for lead discovery and optimization to address issues of target potency, selectivity, pharmacokinetics, and in vivo efficacy
• Utilizes contemporary structure-based methods, structure-activity relationships, and medicinal chemistry principles to propose and execute innovative chemistry strategies
• Designs viable synthetic routes and performs literature searches in support of research
• Creates relevant intellectual property for the company, contributes to patent authorship and contributes to the authorship of scientific manuscripts
• Maintains a current understanding of the synthetic literature and methodology, as well as the scientific literature related to a specific drug discovery project
• Keeps an accurate, comprehensible, concise notebook in accordance with company policy
• Identifies routine obstacles to progress and solves a variety of problems
• May mentor Research Associates
• Supports at least one project of defined scope and moderate complexity
• Represents own research to senior leadership, or for scientific collaborations, or a national scientific conference
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
• PhD in synthetic organic chemistry with at least 5 years of experience in the field of small-molecule drug discovery
• Demonstrated record of success along with proven ability to design and conduct multi-step synthesis of various target molecules
• Demonstrated scientific excellence as evidenced by a substantial publication and patent record
• Clear general knowledge of chemistry and a diverse practical experience in synthetic organic chemistry
• Clear understanding of experimental design and reaction mechanism
• Good understanding of basic biochemical and biological principles
• High level of professional expertise in modern laboratory and analytical methods
• Has demonstrated independent thought/creativity in science and possesses a high degree of scientific discretion/intuition
• Ability to convey ideas in an experimentally detailed yet scientifically concise manner
• Excellent communication and multitasking skills
• Proficiency with chemistry drawing software (e.g., Chemdraw) and MS office applications
• PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk; sit; talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
• WORK ENVIRONMENT: During optimization process the individual will work closely with the HTS department, in vitro pharmacology, in vivo pharmacology, and pre-clinical groups. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Exposure to chemicals. Some travel may be required.
Rigel Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by the law.