Development Scientist, Bioprocessing
Scope of Position (i.e. projects involved with and role within group):
You will lead the development of new products / new technologies for bioprocessing applications and subsequent transfer of technology to manufacturing. You will work closely with end users to enable protocol development and successful implementation of new products/technologies for adherent (micro-carriers) and suspension cells from benchtop to 200L bioreactor scale. Your ability to independently coordinate and prioritize different projects in a dynamic environment, as well as the ability to work with individuals from multiple technical areas and with varying levels of scientific and technical expertise is critical. We rely on you to operate safely in the laboratory and with instrument maintenance. You will write technical reports, SOPs, external product literature and contribute to intellectual property as an expectation in this role.
Location: Corning, NY or Bedford, MA. Relocation incentive offered.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Acts as a subject expert in Bioreactors (traditional and single-use), adherent and suspension cell scale-up and harvest technologies
- Provide technical support for process development and scale-up to end users
- Design, coordinate and execute complex cell based experiments for new products, technologies, processes or applications development
- Record, analyze, interpret and report data to the project team and stake-holders
- Provide technical leadership to development scientists
- Interact with team members in developing strategies and directions for new products development
- Perform routine cell culture procedures to maintain different cell lines
- Learn new techniques and methods as needed to support the project objectives
Travel Requirements (please note if international): Some travel to conferences and our customer sites (up to 20%)
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
- Standard work hours plus occasional weekend work based on our project needs.
- Due to the nature of cell culture, your ability and willingness to adopt a flexible work schedule is required
Education and Experience:
- PhD or M.S. in Biomedical Engineering, Biotechnology or relevant discipline
- 5+ years of relevant experience in upstream and downstream bioprocessing
- Expertise with stirred tank (both stainless steel and single use) and wave bioreactors; process development and scale-up (benchtop to at least 200L scale) for mAb, vaccine, gene or cell therapy manufacturing.
- Experience and track record in new products/technologies development for upstream bioprocessing applications.
- Strong mammalian cell culture skills, including microcarrier culture techniques.
- Strong design of experiments (DOE) and data analysis skills.
- Strong communication skills - written and verbal
- Deep knowledge and experience with downstream bioprocessing technologies/equipment is very desirable.
- Skills with homogenization, tangential flow filtration, chromatography, and sterile filtration at lab-, pilot-, and manufacturing-scale
- Publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Great teammate with strong work ethic
- Demonstration of drive and dedication
- Customer focused
- Values differences in people and ideas
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.