Scientist I, Process Chemistry (Kilo Lab) at Vertex
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation to create transformative medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases. We discovered and developed the first medicines to treat the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis (CF), a rare, life-threatening genetic disease. In addition to clinical development programs in CF, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs focused on the underlying mechanisms of other serious diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex today has research and development sites and offices around the world. For several consecutive years, Science magazine has named Vertex one of its Top Employers in the life sciences. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is seeking a talented individual to join our Process Chemistry group in San Diego, CA. The successful candidate will be a self-motivated, highly productive, results-oriented bench chemist, capable of being involved in synthetic projects and laboratory experiments from gram to multi-kilogram scale, to enable the delivery of compound and technology to support toxicology and clinical studies. This individual may also be involved in the development of new chemistry and demonstrate chemistry by delivering compounds at expected purity for early phase of development.
Previous experience in a kilo lab environment with excellent notebook practices is required for this role.
Key Responsibilities for this role:
- Conducts synthetic organic chemistry at multi-gram to kilo gram scale using kilo lab scale equipment
- Execute and interpret synthetic organic experiments with a high degree of reliability
- Perform the synthesis of complex target molecules
- Plans synthetic routes and performs literature searches to support on-going projects
- Perform experiments with limited supervision demonstrating innovative chemistry strategies and knowledge of modern synthetic chemistry.
- Display emerging ability to modify experimental designs and protocols to enable experimental and/or methodological improvement
- Maintains an accurate, clear, electronic notebook with detailed experimental findings and required analytical reports.
- Multitask to effectively manage multiple activities
- Assist other scientists in Process Chemistry and other departments
- Ensure compliance with all applicable regulations and SOPs
- Preferred Requirements:
- Ph.D in Chemistry with synthetic organic chemistry experience
- Minimum experience: 4+ years (MS) or 6+ years (BS) of lab experience in a pharmaceutical research environment.
- Experience working in a kilo lab and ability to operate standard and large scale chemical laboratory equipment and operate standard analytical test instrumentation is required.
- Inventive and innovative, self-starter who is comfortable and successful working in a multi-disciplinary team under defined timelines
- Expert knowledge of NMR, HPLC, LCMS and other traditional organic chemistry laboratory techniques
- Proven communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.