Amgen's Final Product Technologies is a process development function that develops and commercializes drug delivery devices /combination products to serve our patients. We are seeking a Senior Engineer to develop, apply and deploy rigorous mathematical models of drug delivery device technologies. The candidate will apply structural, fluid, biomechanical, and multi-physics theory to develop novel first-principles and mechanistic computational models addressing a wide variety of challenging problems associated with device design control, characterization, verification and validation. Responsibilities will include identifying requirements and specifications suitable for in-silico evaluation, identifying key system characteristics/phenomena, formulating constitutive and governing equations describing these, formulating mathematical representations of design questions, implementing models in commercial and proprietary software, deploying these models to internal users via an enterprise modeling infrastructure, and verification of these models through experiments. It is expected that the Senior Engineer will collaborate heavily with internal stakeholders, as well as document and communicate the underlying technical basis of the models for the benefit of and use by the broader engineering and scientific community responsible for design and manufacture of drug delivery devices.
Master's degree and 3 years of engineering experience
Bachelor's degree and 5 years of engineering experience
Associate's degree and 10 years of engineering experience
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of engineering experience
- Doctorate degree & 3 years of experience directly related to the job or Master's degree & 7 years of experience directly related to the job
- Ph.D. or MS in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Biomedical Engineering with experience noted in the basic qualifications above.
- 5+ years relevant work experience in active medical device design.
- Experience in medical device development and engineering.
- Experience in mathematical and computational (in-silico) modeling.
- Modeling of fluid mechanic processes and/or mechanical devices.
- Experience with commercial structural and fluid dynamics simulation software (e.g. ANSYS, Fluent, COMSOL).
- Good understanding of the regulatory process and requirements.
- Basic programming skills
- Strong interdisciplinary project management skills.
- Ability to independently uncover and resolve issues associated with design engineering projects.
- A good record of scientific publications, ideally related to the qualifications.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.