BioPhase has one immediate opening for a highly motivated and creative chemist to join our location in Oceanside, CA. This position seeks to synthesize and evaluate new polymers for a surface modification application.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design, and conduct the synthesis, purification and characterization of polymer or small molecules of interest
- Contribute to analytical method development and continuous improvement of existing analytical methods
- Maintain excellent laboratory records, and write reports and research summaries as required
- Interact closely with other scientists to develop comprehensive solutions
- Participate in intellectual property creation
Physical Job Requirements
Office/Lab environment. Lifting up to 50 pounds may be required. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use their hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and telephone keypad or to write, as well as talk and hear. They are required to stand, walk or sit, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to focus.
Essential Job Requirements
- MS or PhD in Chemistry or Polymer Science and Engineering; 0-5 year industrial experience
- Experience with polymer synthesis or processing is a must
- In-depth knowledge of organic chemistry
- In-depth knowledge of structure-property relations and materials properties; ability to design materials to desired properties
- Broad experience in polymers such as bulk radical polymerization, controlled/”living” radical polymerizations, surface grafted polymers, copolymer formulations, core-shell polymer nanoparticles, etc.
- Strong awareness of safety of chemicals and reactions, ability to handle materials that are sensitive to air, light, and moisture.
- Proven ability to follow detailed SOPs and perform analytical techniques such as GC, LC-MS, FTIR, UV-Vis, and NMR
- Experience in analytical method development is a plus (e.g. HPLC analysis of complex mixtures)
- Highly motivated and self-driven individual with the ability to work independently, and multi-task under aggressive timeline to support team and corporate objectives
- Experience in surface modification using design materials
- Experience in biomolecules such as proteins and amino acids
- Experience with water based polymers
- Small molecule and monomer design, synthesis, and purification (in addition to polymer experience)