Technology Development Scientist/Senior Scientist
Caribou Biosciences, Inc. is a leading company in CRISPR genome engineering located in Berkeley, CA. Caribou's tools and technologies provide transformative capabilities to therapeutic development, agricultural biotechnology, industrial biotechnology, and basic and applied biological research. The six-year-old company has developed a best-in-class CRISPR genome engineering technology platform and has a leading intellectual property position.
We are seeking a protein biochemist Scientist/Senior Scientist to join our Technology Development group in Berkeley. This individual will interact closely with Caribou Scientists to engineer novel CRISPR-based tools for therapeutic genome editing. The successful candidate will have extensive, hands-on experience with protein and multi-protein complex engineering/purification, biochemical assay development, and a clear record of being able to move projects forward. The ideal candidate will also have a strong background in genome editing and/or CRISPR-based technologies. This is an opportunity for a talented scientist to work in a highly matrixed team environment to drive tool development and shape Caribou’s next-generation cell therapy programs.
- Design, expression, purification, and functional optimization of protein/multi-protein complexes for mammalian genome editing
- Collaboration with other Caribou scientists to perform and analyze mammalian genome editing experiments
- Creative thinking to propose and implement innovative protein engineering approaches to expand Caribou’s genome editing toolkit and intellectual property
- Communicating results clearly and concisely, internally and externally
- Keeping accurate record of experiments and results
Candidate must possess:
- PhD in structural biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, or a closely related field
- Minimum 2 years of relevant experience Broad chromatography experience, including use of FPLC and HPLC systems
- Extensive experience with construct design and cloning for bacterial expression
- Extensive experience with purification/activity optimization of protein-protein complexes
- Strong background in biochemical assay development and enzyme kinetics
- Prior experience with genome editing tools and technologies
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Ability to develop and mentor a team of researchers
- Comfort in a fast-paced environment and ability to adjust workload based upon changing priorities
- Prior experience with CRISPR-based tools
- Familiarity with structure-based protein engineering and use of molecular visualization software (Pymol, QTMG, etc.)
- Prior experience with protein evolution and/or functional screens for protein function optimization
- Prior experience with Next-generation sequencing (NGS) technologies
- Work in pharmaceutical or biotechnology company focused on genome editing and/or immuno-oncology
Caribou Biosciences, Inc. is a dynamic start-up company, and the successful candidate must have the ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment. For more information, please visit www.cariboubio.com. Caribou is on Twitter. Sign up to follow our Twitter feed @CaribouBio.
Caribou offers a comprehensive compensation package, as well as generous paid time off in addition to Company-observed holidays. The Company provides medical, dental, and vision insurance, along with a 401(k) retirement savings plan which includes matching employer contributions Caribou promotes a culture in which employees are respected and rewarded for hard work, innovation, personal initiative, and teamwork.
Caribou is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, citizenship, political activity or affiliation, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition (as defined under California law), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, sex or gender (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other basis protected by law. In addition, Caribou prohibits the harassment of any individual on any of the bases listed above or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Direct applicants only. No agencies please.