Research Associate, Discovery Biology
Surrozen is seeking a creative, self-motivated individual with a passion for experimental science to join our founding team. The Discovery Biology Research Associate position is a fantastic opportunity to work on cutting edge science and take part in building an exciting, science driven company.
Surrozen is a biotechnology company focused on discovering and developing novel regenerative medicines with a focus on unlocking the powerful self-renewal properties of the body through specific control of the Wnt signaling pathway. Surrozen was founded by five leading-edge scientists: K. Christopher Garcia, Ph.D., Roel Nusse, Ph.D. and Calvin Kuo, M.D., Ph.D. from Stanford University; Claudia Janda, Ph.D. from the Princess Maxima Center for Pediatric Oncology; and Hans Clevers, M.D, Ph.D. from the Hubrecht Institute and Princess Maxima Center. Each has conducted extensive research on Wnt signaling, with findings that together shape Surrozen’s technology and approach to therapeutic development.
- Maintain mammalian cell culture and apply gene expression studies and in vitro functional assays (e.g., RT-qPCR, reporter assays, FACS analysis).
- Develop and optimize protocols for primary cell isolation, including the use of FACS/MACS, in preparation for scRNA-seq. I
- Investigate gene expression in tissue samples by RT-qPCR, RNA in situ hybridization, and immunohisto-chemistry.
- Interrogate RNA-seq and scRNA-seq data sets.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Molecular/Cell Biology, Genomics, Biochemistry, or related discipline with 1-4 years of hands on research experience in either an academic lab or company setting.
- Prior experience with RT-qPCR and other basic molecular biology and biochemical techniques is required.
- Experience with mammalian cell culture and a range of histology methods is recommended.
- Experience with high-throughput sequencing at the molecular biology and/or data analysis level is highly desired; proficiency in R is a plus.
- You are highly competent at what you know, but you are also interested in learning new techniques and approaches.
- The ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently, to communicate effectively, and to build collaborative relationships is critical.
- We offer a dynamic start-up environment and a collaborative, passionate team
- Excellent benefits, including competitive employer contributions Stock options Paid vacation, sick time and holidays
- Shuttle service to/from Caltrain, BART and the SSF Ferry State of the art research facility complete with bowling alley and onsite gym (see the amenities available at The Cove)