Advocacy Relations Director, Pathways
We have world-class cross-functional staff across the globe including sales and marketing, regional medical liaisons, oncology nurse specialists and customer account teams to ensure our discoveries go from bench to bedside.
Reporting to the Oncology TA (Therapeutic Area) Advocacy Relations Director, the Advocacy Relations Director (ARD), Pathways will develop and lead the implementation of an integrated US patient and professional association strategy to support the development and use of appropriate clinical and payer pathways by fostering the accreditation and market uptake of patient-centered pathways based on real-world evidence through the formation of a third-party consortium. Located at Amgen's global headquarters in Thousand Oaks, California, the individual will coordinate closely with multiple internal functions, including Medical Affairs, Data Analytics and Value & Access as well as other ARDs in the US Advocacy Relations function. The individual will serve as a primary interface on pathway issues to external organizations engaged in oncology and other relevant disease areas.
Additionally, the individual will build collaborative relationships with select, external, third-party organizations to align and execute on shared goals across the development life cycle from pre-clinical to post-launch and across Amgen's product portfolio. This position will develop and solidify strategic long-term partnerships with relevant US organizations and contribute to maintaining a consistent and coherent voice as part of Amgen's overarching engagement strategy with the patient and professional advocacy community.
External stakeholder responsibilities:
- Build long term, substantive relationships with patient groups, professional associations and all other stakeholders based on values of trust, respect and transparency so that patients and providers systematically can engage decision makers in all aspects of clinical development, healthcare delivery and access.
- Develop and drive advocacy strategies across teams and therapy areas as it relates to new patient and professional trends, including but not limited to e-business channel communication, digital/mobile technology and social media.
- Support patient access to medicines by working with patient groups and professional associations to help determine the value of innovation and address access barriers in the therapeutic area.
- Build and engage coalitions to effectively advance advocacy initiatives amongst medical professionals and existing coalitions as well as forge strategic alliances to deliver a stronger, united message for patient access and affordable care within the therapeutic area.
- Bring the voice of patients and providers into Amgen's capabilities, including Clinical Trial Design, Direct-to-Patient Marketing, Corporate Communications and Value and Access.
Internal stakeholder responsibilities:
- Develop and execute the Pathways Advocacy Relations strategy and associated goals.
- Ensure strategic plans and relationships with key patient groups and professional associations are aligned, coordinated and maximize efficiencies across Amgen.
- Serve as an internal resource and identify opportunities to maximize disease awareness, and coordinate across functions around key areas of concern such as access to therapies for patients.
- Lead and ensure teams deliver one-year and multi-year strategies and tactical operating plans that account for professional and advocacy opportunities aligned with company goals.
- Work cross-functionally as a strong partner and collaborator.
- Doctorate degree and 4 years of marketing and/or patient advocacy and/or project management experience
- Master's degree and 6 years of marketing and/or patient advocacy and/or project management experience
- Bachelor's degree and 8 years of marketing and/or patient advocacy and/or project management experience
- 8+ years of experience with patient advocacy groups and/or professional (medical) associations.
- 3+ years of experience working for global pharmaceutical companies as a liaison with patient advocacy groups and/or professional associations.
- Sensitivity to diverse groups of people both internal and external with the ability to manage many different opinions and perspectives, including tolerance for ambiguity.
- Demonstrated reputation internally and externally as a well-respected, dynamic team player.
- Empathic and passionate individual with the ability to build meaningful connections with stakeholders.
- Previous experience leading the development of professional medical society and patient advocacy strategies for pharmaceutical organizations.
- Previous experience as relationship manager for professional medical associations and patient advocacy groups.
- Proven understanding of key external and internal trends affecting patient and consumer engagement; solid understanding and experience in new forms of patient/consumer interactions such as social media and patient online communities.
- Previous experience communicating the value of innovation and addressing access barriers to care.
- Previous experience in government affairs.
- Outstanding verbal and written communications skills and an ability to adapt one's approach to a challenge, as well as excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to assimilate complex medical knowledge and communicate to non-medical audiences.
- Capable of managing shifting priorities in a rapidly changing environment.
- Understands the pharma/biotech business model, regulatory process & compliance guidelines.
- Experience with product (drug) launches.
We understand that to successfully sustain and grow as a global enterprise and deliver for patients - we must ensure a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Our culture is what makes Amgen a special place to work. We have a powerful shared purpose around our mission - to serve patients. We respect one another, recognize contributions, and have embedded collaboration, trust, empowerment and inclusion in all that we do.
We equip all our staff members to live well-rounded, healthy lives. Most recently, Amgen added benefits for transgender employees and continues to pride itself on industry-leading, family-friendly offerings for families of all compositions.
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.