Scientist 2, Fermentation
The role of the Scientist 2 in the Fermentation department is to expand the capabilities of the current fermentation platform for developing scalable processes and screening microbial expression systems for small molecule production. This individual must possess a proven track record of fermentation process design and troubleshooting along with fundamental knowledge of yeast physiology and current bioprocessing technologies. The ideal candidate will also possess a strong background in computational science and carries a passion for relating yeast physiology and process conditions using higher level mathematics and statistics.
Fermentation Process Optimization (40%)
- Develop and optimize fermentation process models using S88 batch process control design philosophy
- Collaborate with Fermentation research teams comprised of scientists and engineers for maximizing understanding of strain performance and de-risking scale-up efforts of process parameters
- Troubleshoot procedural control models to ensure laboratory operations proceed on schedule and are sufficient for studying the hypothesis for each experiment
- Study differences across different bench-top & plate-based fermentation platforms and propose solutions for scale-validation and communicate impacts to the data quality
- Build automated solutions to improve fermentation operation workflows in an R&D environment
Computational Science & Data Analysis (40%)
- Expertise in correlating genetic engineering measures in yeast physiology and process conditions to efficiently elucidate strain performance and how its applied across fermentation platforms
- Applying computational modeling for simulating results and testing algorithms for clustering and ranking molecular measures
- Implementing Design-of-Experiment & Statistical Process Control principles for efficiently studying response variables and assessing data quality
- Create data visualizations using relational databases to quickly communicate laboratory results and provide insight to yeast strain and/or process performance
- Leads development of analytical pipelines for biological data and innovative data analysis capabilities
Other Tasks as Assigned by the Fermentation Management Team (20%)
- Lead continuous improvement efforts aimed at increasing lab effectiveness & efficiency
- Responsible for individual and co-worker safety and maintain safety as the highest priority by supporting and reinforcing procedures and policies
- Able to present complex results, both verbally and in writing, to research-oriented audiences
- PhD Degree in bio/chemical-engineering, computational/molecular biology, biochemistry, or related fields and post-Ph.D. relevant experience, preferably in an industrial setting. Individuals with MS degrees with >8 years of relevant experience are also encouraged to apply.
- Must possess formal training and hands-on experience in bench-scale fermentations and carry a deep interest in bioprocessing be able to contribute to scientific efforts focused on understanding small molecule production
- Ideal candidate would have experience with metabolomic datasets and familiarity with analytical chemistry/assay methods, automation systems, and LIMs
- Comfortable writing SQL queries and accessing relational databases
- Carry excellent programming skills using contemporary languages such as R and Python
- Use of statistical tool (e.g. JMP, Python scripting) for data analysis is a must
- Experience acting as leader, team player and collaborator both within and across functional boundaries.
- Tenacity in pursuing objectives to completion correctly and on time.
- Weekend work and occasional overtime is required.
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Embrace Amyris Core Values
- Adherence to Amyris Safety Policies and Procedures
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris’ molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com.
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.
For a full list of our current openings, please visit our website <http://www.amyris.com/careers