Senior Director, Development Design Center
Sr. Director, Development Design Center (DDC)
AbbVie has developed a world class team to drive innovation in clinical trial design and execution. As the Sr. Director of the Development Design Center, you will lead a team of design and statistical directors responsible for reviewing the AbbVie portfolio. The Sr. Director will provide leadership to the team in addition to working across Therapeutic Areas for the Development organization to promote the use of real world data and predictive analytics to create more robust clinical programs. He or she will also be responsible for the long term strategy to facilitate interactions between Asset Development Teams, Innovative Statistics, Clinical Operations Therapeutic functions and the Development Design Center.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Manage, develop, coach both design directors and statistical directors
- Provide strategic leadership to therapeutic area teams regarding the optimization of design and execution of clinical programs
- Serve as a thought leader and trusted business partner to clinical teams, senior management and key stakeholders
- Provide expert scientific consultation to Development by providing real time feedback on the impact of study design choices on costs, timeline, patient selection and recruitment for AbbVie portfolio.
- Provide leadership and coordinate the review and leverage of global data resources to impact study design.
- Influences and strategically manages linkages across business and understands the impacts of business decisions and solution
- Champion of innovation and relentless strive to bring new technology and methodology to clinical development
- Works with the Head of the DDC to ensure executive leadership has insight into DDC priorities and gathers key stakeholder feedback.
- Required: Masters, Preferred: MD,PhD with extensive experience in drug development and clinical trials
- At least 15 years of leadership experience related to clinical research and drug development within the pharma/biotech industry.
- In depth drug development and scientific project leadership or related experience across all phases of drug development
- Experience with large data sets and analytical skills to interrogate the data
- Recognized as an expert with global knowledge of pharma drug development processes
- Demonstrated leadership skills with broad scientific, strategic and business-related orientations
- Requires multi-faceted, broad-based experience in multiple functions. Considered to have in depth knowledge of drug development issues and business needs.
- Extensive experience in building, coaching and managing high level professionals and ability to bring out the best in others
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to interact externally and internally to support business strategy.
- Recognized ability to evaluate complex issues from multiple perspectives to ensure that balanced risk assessments are made
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
- Learns fast, grasps the 'essence' and can change the course quickly where indicated
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
- Creates a collaborative, learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages to reality