Senior Director, Application Development
The Regeneron Genetics Center (RGC) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Company, whose goals are to apply large scale human genetics to identify new drug targets and to guide the development of therapeutics programs and precision medicine. Building upon Regeneron's strengths in mouse genetics and genetics-driven drug discovery and development, the RGC specializes in ultra-high-throughput exome sequencing, large scale informatics and data analysis encompassing genomics and electronic health records, and translating genetic discoveries into new biology and drug discovery opportunities. The RGC leverages multiple approaches including large population based studies, Mendelian genetics and family based studies, founder population genetics, and large-scale disease focused projects and has developed a network of over 50 collaborations with research organizations around the world. Including some of the largest sequencing studies in the world, such as the DiscovEHR study in collaboration with Geisinger Health System, and an initiative to sequence 500,000 participants with the UK Biobank, the RGC has built one of the largest human genetics databases, including sequence data from over several hundred thousand participants and rapidly growing. Our interests encompass a breadth of different areas across all therapeutic areas and the RGC is highly integrated into all facets of research and development at Regeneron. Program goals include target discovery, indication discovery, and patient-disease stratification. Objectives include advancing basic science around the world through public sharing of discoveries, providing clinically-valuable insights to physicians and providers of collaborating health-care systems, improving patient outcomes, and identifying novel targets for drug development.
The Genome Informatics and Data Engineering team is seeking a Senior Director of Application Development who will be responsible for leading the RGC Genome Informatics Web Application and Tool Development Efforts. Specifically, the candidate will be responsible for developing software tools and web applications that leverage the RGC infrastructure to provide expert and non-expert users alike the ability to mine insights from genomic and clinical data.
The leader in this role will define the vision and strategy for application and tool development in support of RGC needs for mining genomic and clinical data coordinating with users and application development teams in other functions at the RGC and Regeneron to ensure that all RGC results are FAIR (findable, accessible, interoperable, and reusable). Key areas of development are tools that enable mining of variant data at the 1M sample scale across 100s of individual projects, and development of tools to support the extraction of phenotypes from EHR data and the integration and harmonization of clinical data from a broad array of heterogeneous sources in support of clinical informatics needs.
• Set the strategy and vision in support of stakeholder needs for genome and clinical informatics application development at the RGC
• Coordinate and collaborate with other development teams, IT and InfoSec, and external and internal collaborators to deliver world-class applications and tools.
• Manage requirements gathering processes and development efforts to ensure the voice of the end-user is in every tool and application we develop
• Provide documentation, FAQs, live trainings, and training videos to make it as easy as possible for users to understand how to use the tools and applications we develop
• Manage contractor and external vendor relationships where needed to accelerate development timelines
• Manage versioning and change control process to ensure smooth evolution of tools without loss of service or functionality
• Provide end-users with clarity about the impact of changes and maintain the highest level of confidence in data quality and reproducibility.
• Collaborate with teams across the RGC and Regeneron to ensure that all RGC data and tools are findable, accessible, interoperable, and reusable.
This position requires a Ph.D. with 10+ years of experience in sequencing and/or genome informatics application development, plus 5 or more years of experience leading development efforts for widely-adopted commercial-grade genomics software tools.
Additional requirements include:
• Proven track record of developing, deploying, and supporting widely utilized genomics tools
• Experience managing large collaborative development efforts, preferably in the context of large-scale NGS sequencing and analysis projects
• Experience managing and coordinating with IT teams to maintain secure and compliant tools and applications
• Experience with developing and deploying cloud-based tools (AWS preferred)
• Experience with distributed data technologies and application development in the context of Spark and/or Hadoop-based back-ends
• Experience developing scala-based tools in the Databricks platform a plus
• Deep knowledge of NGS sequencing technologies
• Excellent communication and presentation skills required
• Experience in managing different workstreams and coordinating tasks with internal teams and outside consultants
This is an opportunity to join our select team that is already leading the way in the Pharmaceutical/Biotech industry. Apply today and learn more about Regeneron's unwavering commitment to combining good science & good business.
To all agencies: Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee of Regeneron about this opening. All resumes submitted by search firms/employment agencies to any employee at Regeneron via-email, the internet or in any form and/or method will be deemed the sole property of Regeneron, unless such search firms/employment agencies were engaged by Regeneron for this position and a valid agreement with Regeneron is in place. In the event a candidate who was submitted outside of the Regeneron agency engagement process is hired, no fee or payment of any kind will be paid.
Regeneron is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.