Associate Scientist / Sr. Associate Scientist / Scientist, Upstream Process Development
Sound Biologics (www.soundbiologics.com), a growing greater Seattle-based start-up, is a biotechnology company focusing on the creation of innovative technology and novel therapeutics to better serve patients with cancer, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. As we build for the future, we are looking for talented individuals to advance science, produce innovative therapies and fuel our passion towards meeting unmet medical needs.
Sound Biologics is seeking an experienced upstream process development scientist to participate in the development, scale-up and characterization of bioprocesses to support GMP productions and IND filings. This is a unique opportunity for a motivated scientist to contribute experimentally, as well as intellectually, in advancing our mission in a supportive, but fast-paced team setting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform the design, execution and analysis of experiments using a variety of cell culture systems, including shake flasks, microbioreactors, bench-scale bioreactors, WAVE bioreactors and single-use bioreactors.
- Introduce, develop and implement new strategies and technologies to accelerate upstream process development timelines.
- Support technology transfer, process scale-up and batch record review to enable CMO GMP production campaigns.
- Assist in routine laboratory maintenance, including bioreactor cleaning/setup/sterilization and supply ordering.
- Write technical reports, communicate findings and participate in scientific discussions for efficient knowledge management and regulatory filing support.
- Prepare and deliver presentations of project results to others; including large and diverse audiences both internally and externally.
- Some project-related weekend work is required.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- MS/BS degree in Chemical engineering, Biomedical engineering, Biochemistry or a similar discipline, with 1+ years of related biotechnology industry experience.
- Technical proficiency in CHO cell culture and upstream process development, preferably in an industrial laboratory setting.
- Excellence in data analysis, technical writing, and presentation skills.
- Basic understanding of design of experiments, quality by design principles and multivariate analysis.
- Experience with JMP, R or other statistical software is preferred.
- Experience with technology transfer and scale-up to GMP manufacturing facilities is a plus.