Quantitative Systems Pharmacologist, NIBR PK Sciences
6500! That’s the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients. Translational Medicine (TM) is the clinical research arm of NIBR, and includes about 1000 associates globally. TM plays a pivotal role in bringing innovative medicines to patients, by building on research advances to develop new therapies, and bridging drug discovery and clinical application. Within TM, PK Sciences (PKS) partners across both NIBR and the Global Drug Development organizations to advance the scientific knowledge of pharmacokinetics, metabolism and clinical pharmacology, and bring it to bear on drug discovery and development challenges throughout R&D.
Interested in the Quantitative Understanding of Biological Systems? Join our Quantitative Systems Pharmacology Team. The Modeling & Simulation function at NIBR was newly formed in 2018 and is embedded within PK Sciences and Translational Medicine. Our main objective is to enable quantitative and rigorous decision making from target identification to first-in-human studies. The ideal candidate is always looking for innovative ways modeling and simulation can be applied to drug discovery, is extremely collaborative, a great communicator and self-motivated. Since we support all therapeutic modalities and all therapeutic areas – there are a lot of novel and exciting scientific questions to address. If you want to help shape this new function – come and join us!
Your responsibilities in this role will include but are not limited to:
• Identify high-impact research questions
• Develop and apply a range of (innovative) modeling and simulation approaches to support and influence critical decisions in drug discovery and development across disease areas
• Participate in defining PKS strategy for compound progression and development. • Identify potential project hurdles, suggest solutions and contribute to contingency plans.
• Publish or present internally or externally as a contributor to enhance Novartis and PK Sciences visibility. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo1vwtVPVA0)
What you will bring to the role:
Minimum requirements include a PhD in Bio Engineering, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Mathematics, Physics or closely related field or equivalent related experience.
Skills and Professional Requirements:
• Good understanding of cell biology and physiology
• Experience working with large and/or complex datasets
• Innovative and independent thinker that excels in a highly collaborative and intellectually challenging environment
• 5 plus years of Industry experience
• Demonstrated ability to communicate modeling results to non-experts to facilitate strategy and decision-making
• Proficiency in a scripting language (e.g. MATLAB, R, Python) and statistical software (JMP, R, etc.)
• Skilled in parameter estimation, mathematical problem solving, data analysis & visualization
Why consider Novartis?
817 million. That’s how many lives our products touched in 2018. Imagine what you could do at Novartis. You could contribute to solving some of the toughest healthcare challenges and have an extraordinary impact on people’s lives. Join us. The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
To apply for this position, please copy and paste the following link into your browser address bar: https://novartis.contacthr.com/68329104