Senior Computational Chemist
REVOLUTION Medicines discovers and develops new drugs that translate frontier cancer targets through exceptional drug discovery delivering revolutionary medicines on behalf of cancer patients. Our innovative science draws inspiration from nature and evolution, which offer insights into cancer targets, disease mechanisms and therapeutic approaches. As a new member of the RevMed team, you will join other outstanding scientists who are helping lead our efforts in the discovery and development of new medicines for unmet needs in cancer.
As a key contributor to our Chemistry team, you will:
- Partner with multidisciplinary, highly collaborative discovery teams to design, optimize, and accelerate the development of novel drug candidates using advanced computational techniques.
- Substantially contribute to the conception and implementation of innovative, interdisciplinary research projects.
- Integrate with project teams as a trusted collaborator to ensure that the best computational approaches are applied to drive the progression of drug discovery projects.
Key Position Responsibilities
- Support drug discovery projects by combining a deep understanding of theory and medicinal chemistry concepts with cutting-edge computational tools.
- Enhance our understanding of SAR from Ro5 and beyond Ro5 projects and influence the team strategy by:
- generating and interpreting data using appropriate modeling techniques, by
- carrying out data-mining campaigns, by
- performing and interpreting statistical analyses of large datasets, and by setting up and deploying Machine Learning and AI approaches
- Develop computer models and simulations of chemical and biochemical processes and entities.
- Enhance our computing capabilities through application of innovative methodologies and through deployment of custom software tools developed in conjunction with RevMed’s Scientific Computing group.
- Carry out molecular dynamics simulations and coordinate with the Scientific Computing group for the development of testable hypotheses in the realms of drug binding, SAR, and computational biophysics.
- Create visual representations of molecular interactions for internal and external communications.
- Build computational chemistry as a function within REVOLUTION Medicines.
- Partner with interdisciplinary discovery teams including Chemistry, Biology, Discovery Technologies, Scientific Computing, and DMPK.
- Provide innovative ideas and models to challenge and shape project thinking; serve as a lead computational chemist on multiple drug discovery projects.
- Communicates progress, milestones, changes in timelines etc. to all key stake holders.
Required Experience, Skills, and Education:
- Ph.D. in computational chemistry, medicinal chemistry, or a closely related field.
- Ideally over 10+ years of computational chemistry experience in the biotech/pharma industry with knowledge of multiple target classes and disease areas.
- Proven leadership experience managing projects and people.
- Demonstrable track record of the following computational chemistry disciplines: virtual screening, structure-based drug design, homology modelling, molecular dynamics simulations, QSAR, matched-pair analyses, ligand-based drug design, and prediction of ADMET/QSPR properties.
- Working knowledge of contemporary computational chemistry methods and their use in ligand design and data analysis as applied to drug designs.
- Specifically, a working knowledge of state-of-the-art modeling and cheminformatics suites such as those from Schrodinger, MOE, OpenEye, or ChemAxon, experience with docking tools such as Glide, GOLD or DOCK, and experience with data visualization & analysis tools like Vortex or Spotfire.
- Experience with cheminformatics tools and data analytics techniques.
- Experience in scientific programming or scripting languages such as shell, Python, Perl, R, and/or C.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills to work with project and departmental teams to address issues impacting the progress of research projects is essential.
- Innovative, proactive team-player with high energy for our start-up environment with a proven ability to collaborate with others and work in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to interpret project data and proactively suggest ideas for potency, selectivity improvement, etc., within the med chem design cycle to identify novel drug candidates.
- Multiple publications and external presentations demonstrating creative application of computational chemistry approaches to problems of biological interest.