The Director, Facilities is a customer-facing position responsible for leading the management of Rigel’s Facilities operations. The ideal candidate will implement best practices to optimize operations within the Facilities department, as well as assist with on-going facilities activities and will supervise facilities staff. The role requires strong customer-service instincts. This position involves interacting and partnering with leadership and group leaders at the site and, due to the importance and frequency of these interactions, it is essential that the successful candidate possess highly developed interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Leads the Rigel Facilities team to ensure effective communication between business stakeholders, scientific staff, maintenance providers, outside site services, third-party security vendor, IT, Procurement, Finance, Legal, HR, and all departments with regard to facilities operational issues
• Oversees the management of third-party service providers to ensure compliance and completion of required job tasks
• Interacts with suppliers/consultants and/or vendors on facilities and property matters
• Oversees/manages small to medium furniture configuration projects
• Partners with landlords and/or property managers, to ensure correct building maintenance and compliance with the agreements; evaluates property management announcements and memos affecting Rigel building and/or staff and communicates and/or takes action accordingly
• Complies with company policy for procurement of facilities services and goods
• Ensures compliance with local, state and federal regulations (Cal-EPA, Cal-OSHA, BAAQMD, County Health, local Fire)
• Manages and ensures strategic space planning
• Coordinates reporting of facility data including but not limited to utilities, waste and accidents (coordinating with EH&S and/or HR as applicable)
• Ensures a high quality of housekeeping is maintained on a daily basis
• Manages the site’s access control, intrusion, and surveillance systems
• Partners with lab managers in maintaining a safe working environment
• Leads team activities in the set-up for company events and presentations as required
• On call 24/7 for security and equipment monitoring
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
• Bachelors’ degree preferred with 10 + years of biotechnology industry facilities management experience
• Vivarium experience, a plus
• Strong leadership skills both through direct supervision of the facilities team but also stakeholder management
• Must be able to work on highly complex problems in a variety of situations where analysis is required. Solve problems using considerable and rational judgement, leading to routine and specific recommendations
• Experience managing security systems and maintenance programs
• Familiar with house vacuum, DI water, compressed gases, HVAC systems, plumbing, and electrical and determines appropriate use of internal vs. external/3rd party resources
• Experience with space planning activities
• Experience with furniture installations
• Experience managing projects (construction and remodeling of labs and offices, equipment installations, and related system implementations)
• Excellent presentation skills
• PowerPoint, MS Office, Visio/CAD desirable
• Valid CA driver’s license
• Bilingual English/Spanish a plus but not required.
• Other duties as assigned
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job (this is not an exhaustive list):
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is required to frequently operate a personal computer and regularly move about the facility. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move a minimum of 25+ pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The following work environment factors include (this is not an exhaustive list):
The noise level is usually moderate and on occasion loud. The labs may have a variety of environmental conditions. Appropriate protective wear and equipment will be required along with appropriate training.
Rigel Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by the law.