Associate Scientist 3 ~ Fermentation / Optimization
At Amyris, we are a team of smart, hardworking and creative people who believe in the work we are doing and enjoy each other’s company. We encourage collaboration, learning and straight-up fun while producing quality products and maintaining the highest ethical business standards. Amyris offers its employees a competitive compensation and benefits package. We foster wellness and social involvement through opportunities from healthy onsite lunches and social activities to regular seminars and community outreach.
Associate Scientist 3, Fermentation
The role of the Associate Scientist 3 in Fermentation is to provide technical expertise & support the execution of Fermentation-based experiments for developing and optimizing microbial fermentation processes for small molecule production. This individual must posses a high degree of data acquisition & analysis skills along with fundamental knowledge of fermentation science and bench-scale bioreactors. In addition to executing experiments in the lab to support the Fermentation team, this person will identify areas of need through data-driven observations and develop new technologies & processes to address them.
Data Analysis & Toolkit Building (40%)
· Works closely with Managers, Scientists, Engineers, and key stake holders to analyze lab data to improve workflows and identify bottlenecks in the process
· Create data visualizations using relational databases to quickly provide insight to operational activities in the lab
· Apply and maintain statistical process control measures in the laboratory
· Develop tools for use in the lab for increasing throughput and data quality
Experimental Execution & Laboratory Support (40%)
· Support the Fermentation research teams to design, execute, and analyze bench-scale experiments for maximizing understanding of strain performance and de-risking scale-up efforts of process parameters
· Conduct RCA/CAPAs to correct and prevent laboratory execution errors
· Responsible for individual and co-worker safety and maintain safety as the highest priority by supporting and reinforcing procedures and policies
· Develop and execute assays for characterizing fermentation culture health and product stability and yield under a range of laboratory conditions. Experience in assays in high-throughput formats is additionally helpful.
Other Tasks as Assigned by the Fermentation Management Team (20%)
· Lead continuous improvement efforts aimed at increasing lab effectiveness & efficiency
· Able to present complex results, both verbally and in writing, to research-oriented audiences
· BS Degree in bio/chemical-engineering, molecular biology, biochemistry, or related fields in addition to 5 years of experience in a Fermentation-related group
· Holds MS Degree in bio/chemical-engineering, molecular biology, biochemistry, or related fields in addition to 3 years of experience in a Fermentation-related group
· Must possess formal training in bench-scale fermentations and carry a deep interest in bioprocessing be able to contribute to scientific efforts focused on understanding small molecule production
· Comfortable writing SQL queries and code in languages such as R and Python
· Use of statistical tool (e.g. JMP, Python scripting) for data analysis is a must
· Experience acting as leader, team player and collaborator both within and across functional boundaries.
· Tenacity in pursuing objectives to completion correctly and on time.
· Weekend work and occasional overtime is required.
· Embrace Amyris Core Values.
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris’ molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com.
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.
For a full list of our current openings, please visit our website <http://www.amyris.com/careers>.