GENERAL PURPOSE OF JOB:
The Experimental Immuno-Oncology (I-O) group in Sorrento is seeking a highly motivated and creative IMMUNOLOGIST to join a group of researchers evaluating novel biologics in the fields of Cancer Immunotherapy, Immune Checkpoint Biology, and Innate Immunity. The successful candidate will have an opportunity to join our energetic team and play an integral role in advancing our therapeutic candidates into the clinic, and supporting target discovery efforts. The candidate will employ a combination of in vitro and ex vivo bioassays, as well as in vivo models to identify, characterize and develop immuno-modulatory agents with anti-tumor activity. The candidate will also be involved in developing assays for clinical applications (such as receptor occupancy assay) and validating potential clinial biomarkers.
The position will be filled at the Scientist level. Title will depend on the successful candidate’s qualifications.
I. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Plans and executes experiments under minimal supervision that support the initiation and/or advancement of drug candidate projects into the Sorrento Therapeutics pipeline. Supervises a Research Associate. Actively involved in the selection of antibody drug candidates by running both in vitro and in vivo efficacy studies.
- Strong immunology background with solid flow cytometry hands-on experience
- Past/present experience with biologics (antibody-based drugs) is required. Experience with small-molecule therapeutics is not sufficient.
- Proficient in cell-based assays relevant to cancer drug development and immune function such as MLR, 3D-spheroid killing, ADCC/ADCP, proliferation, activation/stimulation, cytokine release,and/or reporter assays is essential
- Hands-on experience with investigating the tumor micro-environments (TILs preparation and analysis) using techniques such as flow cytometry.
- Must be proficient in aseptic cell culture technique
- Hands-on experience with mouse tumor models (syngeneic or humanized), technical proficiency in animal handling and dosing of mice including i.v., i.p., p.o., and s.c. is highly recommended
- Prior hands-on experience with RNAseq or equivalent is a plus
- Past hands-on experience with IHC is a plus
- Make detailed observations, analyze data, and interpret results
- Prepare precise technical reports, protocols, quantitative analyses, and maintain appropriate documentation using ELN
- Self-motivation, excellent time management, organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
II. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Will be supervising an internal Research Associate
III. EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Ph.D. degree in immunology with at least 2 years industry experience in the Immuno-Oncology field is recommended. At least 5 years of experience is required for a senior level. The title will depend on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
IV. MATHEMATICAL SKILLS:
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as calculation of dilutions and statistical analyses. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
V. REASONING ABILITY:
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
VI. LANGUAGE SKILLS:
Ability to read and understand technical procedures. Ability to write protocols and reports. Ability to effectively present data and respond to questions from co-workers.
VII. CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less).
Color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors).