Sr Director, Health Economics and Outcomes Research
Portola Pharmaceuticals Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of the novel therapeutics for the treatment and prevention of severe cardiovascular diseases. Portola is applying an integrated discovery and development approach to a comprehensive understanding of platelet physiology and vascular thrombosis, with an eye toward developing new therapeutics where current antithrombotic therapies are inadequate.
The Sr Director HEOR will be responsible for overseeing the development and execution of Health Economic and Outcomes Research to support Portola’s product portfolio, demonstrating health economic, and humanistic benefits of Portola’s products. This includes research to support Portola’s Medical Affairs strategy and activities including publication strategy and clinical/economic modeling to support the product portfolio. This role will also be contributing to field education by developing materials and assisting with the training of the field medical and account management team. You will collaborate closely with internal stakeholders across the company including partners in Clinical Development, Medical Affairs and Commercial as well as with key external stakeholders including academics, payers, healthcare providers, professional societies and industry partners.
- Develop a HEOR plan and outline strategic approach for generating required evidence and research output necessary to support Portola’s product portfolio.
- Provide subject matter expertise, guidance and direction to internal and external stakeholders, including: recommendations on health economic, and patient reported outcomes evidence needs for Portola’s patient populations.
- Design, develop, implement and/or manage studies and HEOR models, communications and tools to support patient access to Portola’s products. Ensuring that these efforts are planned in coordination with Portola’s Commercial organization to ensure that efforts to demonstrate value are integrated throughout the company.
- Develop HEOR communications and commercial materials (e.g., manuscripts, scientific forum presentations, slide decks).
- Lead creation of peer-reviewed published evidence supporting value propositions for assigned products, including drafting, reviewing and editing HEOR abstracts and manuscripts for submission to conferences and peer-reviewed journals, in collaboration with various Portola teams.
- Developing relationships with Key Opinion Leaders in order to support evidence development
- Provide HEOR support at advisory boards, educational programs, conferences, and other external meetings
- Provide high-quality HEOR technical and methodological support to cross-functional teams to effectively use clinical, economic, and humanistic data to enhance value propositions, product reimbursement, and formulary access.
- Advanced scientific degree (Pharm D., M.D.,, Ph.D.) with a minimum of 10 years of experience in industry and/or managed care settings, and 5+years of experience in Health Economics and Outcomes Research (HEOR).
- Comprehensive knowledge of own core discipline and good working knowledge of health care systems and health technology assessment guidelines and processes in relevant countries.
- A track record of peer-reviewed scientific publications demonstrating expertise in Health Economics, Patient Reported Outcomes,
- Demonstrated expertise in HEOR assessments (cost-effectiveness, budgetary impact, cost-utility analyses, prospective studies, database analysis, and patient-reported outcomes development).
- A comprehensive understanding of US/global healthcare systems and reimbursement processes and related public policy decision-making.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills with ability to communicate and execute clearly defined goals and objectives.
- Ability to effectively collaborate and partner with internal and external stakeholders, including medical thought-leaders, academic institutions, and key health technology assessment customers.