Sr Director/Executive Director Business Development
Eloxx Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is a clinical-stage Rare Disease biopharmaceutical company focused on restoring production of essential proteins depleted due to genetic mutations. Our library of novel drug candidates enable read-through of premature stop codons and have shown dose dependent improvements in restoring essential protein functions across multiple disease areas. Our lead investigational product candidate, ELX-02 has been granted Orphan Disease designation and is advancing to Phase 2 in Cystic Fibrosis and Cystinosis. Our recently announced Inherited retinal disease program and our partnership with the Foundation Fighting Blindness has created an opportunity to advance additional library compounds into clinical development. We anticipate continuing our rapid growth as the Company advances in clinical development, enters additional therapeutic areas and expands our pipeline.
Eloxx Pharmaceuticals (ELOX) is a Nasdaq listed biotechnology company headquartered in Boston MA with regional operations in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Tel Aviv Israel.
Eloxx is looking for a versatile and highly-motivated individual to contribute to business development activities of a rapidly growing biotech. Reporting to Chief Business Officer, the Senior Director of Business Development will play a key role in defining and driving Eloxx’s strategic initiatives, and will be responsible for the identification, evaluation and execution of strategic collaborations.
Activities will include business case development, due diligence, strategic and valuation analyses, structuring and negotiating transactions, and executing deals. The successful candidate will be capable of externally representing Eloxx on each of these facets, and effectively working cross-functionally to analyze, review and gain internal support for business development initiatives.
- Collaborates with the CBO and the Executive Team to define and drive forward new scientific and strategic partnerships, based on overall corporate strategy, financing needs and organizational capabilities.
- Identifies, evaluates and pursues relevant opportunities that are consistent with scientific and business objectives.
- Attends events (including major partnering, scientific and medical conferences) to help prospect for new opportunities and build relationships with potential partners.
- Pro-active in maintaining and understanding of the landscape and monitors key events related to opportunities of interest, informs internal stakeholders and adjusts efforts accordingly.
- Develops proactive business cases, including financial modeling and ROI analysis, as well as scenario planning to determine optimal partnering approach.
Collaborator who is effective at developing partnerships with the Research and Development teams to define technical characteristics of partnering opportunities of interest.
- Analyze the range of market potential, including consideration of competitive dynamics.
- Proactively anticipates stakeholder interests and concerns and addresses them appropriately.
- Plan/prepare/deliver presentations to external parties and routinely lead business discussions.
- Organizes and lead cross-functional due diligence process and teams (scientific, clinical, market/commercial, etc.) in evaluating the scientific merit and strategic fit of partnering opportunities. Effectively manage diligence findings and can build case to recommend deal or not.
- Presents strategic opportunities for internal and board discussions.
- Deep understanding of creative deal structures and ability to work with legal/deal team to achieve best outcomes.
- Manages the contract drafting/review process with legal and coordinate cross-functional input.
- Negotiate and close transactions consistent with business cases and corporate goals.
- Provides business development input and support to internal programs as appropriate, includes identifying internal gaps and seeking business development solutions.
- Works collaboratively across functions and with senior management to effectively lead and manage the business development area.
- Communication Skills: Must be comfortable in high visibility situations, demonstrate executive presence, and gain the trust and respect of Eloxx’s Executive Team and Board of Directors. Must demonstrate excellent presentation and communication skills – the ability to influence and work successfully with varied audiences including colleagues, scientific and technical leaders, financial institutions, pharmaceutical and business partners, collaborators, customers, and senior executives.
- Entrepreneurial Drive: Desire and proven ability to have an impact. Identifies and capitalizes on opportunities. An energetic self-starter with a strong work ethic, capable of thriving in a high growth, fast paced and intellectual environment. Experience in assessing capitalizes and opportunities for strategic fit with corporate objectives.
- Driving Results: Sets compelling goals and is tenacious in accomplishing them. Ability to set priorities, allocate resources, take accountability, and achieve results. Ability to function autonomously, drive strategic decisions, and execute deals from sourcing to deal close.
- Developing and Leveraging Relationships: Has credibility and an extensive network of industry contacts. Ability to reach key executives in companies that are likely prospects for partnership.
- Persuasiveness: Has excellent negotiation skills; creative approach to solutions, achieves win-win in difficult situations. Builds effective coalitions to move the agenda forward.
- Analytical Skills: Is an expert in deal analysis, financial modeling and financing strategies that are available on a global basis.
- Collaboration: History of cross-functional leadership roles with results demonstrating conflict/issue resolution, time-critical project management, negotiation skills, consensus-building, and financial responsibility.
- Flexibility/Adaptability: Proven capacity to “think on your feet” both during negotiations with third parties and during internal discussions of risks and strategy.
- Analytical Skills: Strong asset valuation and financial modeling skills, with extreme attention to detail, accuracy and accountability balanced with sound business judgment and execution speed.
- Inclusiveness: Demonstrated ability to forge relationships and work in a hands-on collaborative fashion with many different disciplines both inside and outside the company.
- Undergraduate degree plus MBA or advanced scientific degree (biology, biochemistry, chemistry or related scientific discipline) required
- Minimum 7 years of experience working in a lead or management role in biotech/pharma business development. Consulting, venture capital, and/or banking experience is a plus.
- Sound understanding of drug discovery and development, preferably orphan disease
- Knowledge of market and competitive environment including deal activity, and potential opportunities. Knowledge of the resources available to drive a deeper understanding of these topics.
- Demonstrated track record of sourcing, leading, and closing business development partnerships, with an emphasis on analytics, negotiations, structuring, and drafting of partnership contracts.
- Experience in preparing detailed analyses on business development partnerships while also capable of providing a concise summary with key conclusions.
- Ability to tell a coherent story and connect with internal and external stakeholders in a persuasive manner.
Eloxx Pharmaceuticals is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.