Research Scientist - HTP Biology, Inflammation or IO
We are seeking a highly motivated and talented Research Scientist to join our High Throughput Biology and Screening group, focused on assay development, optimization, and execution of in vitro screens in support of Gilead Discovery Research portfolios from HIV, HBV, Oncology and Inflammation therapeutic areas. The candidate will serve as core team member representing functional area and provide expertise in identifying and implementing biological assays using state of the art technologies. He/she will be responsible for designing and delivering high quality in vitro screens and data utilizing common HTS tools as well as novel approaches. Emphasis will be on more complex and challenging disease relevant phenotypic assay formats, developing and scaling these assays from medium to high throughput applications. The candidate should have proven record of applying sound scientific judgement to answer critical questions, as well as a proven ability to design and implement appropriate experiments. Strong organizational skills and multi-tasking ability are required. Ability to work independently in a high-pace, multi-disciplinary, matrix environment is essential. Direct experience in inflammation and/or immune-oncology drug discovery research, drug metabolism and/or high throughput screening strongly preferred.
• Technical proficiency, scientific creativity necessary to conceive, develop, optimize and execute in vitro plate-based assays to support drug discovery efforts
• Design and execute large scale primary and secondary screens to identify hits and support specific aspects of the screening strategy such as designing and carrying out mechanism of action studies.
• Manage multiple projects simultaneously, working cross-functionally in a high collaborative team environment
• Communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing
• Maintain a cutting edge awareness of technical developments and scientific knowledge and apply these where possible to improve performance.
• Presents results of work, interprets data, and draws conclusions in a fully independent manner.
• Independently writes scientific/technical reports and presentations
• Serves as functional area expert with in-depth technical knowledge for projects
• Conduct drug metabolism analysis employing state of the art technologies and analytical methods including mass spectrometry
• Must think critically and work resourcefully to resolve problems
• Present research updates to project teams and R&D management
• PhD Degree in cell biology, pharmacology, cancer biology, immunology, virology, biochemistry or related field.
• Prior experience of at least 3-4 years in a drug discovery laboratory setting working as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
• 2 or more years Industry experience in a pharmaceutical setting.
• Strong scientific foundation in the understanding and implementation of a wide range of biochemical and cell-based assays and readouts using state of the art technologies.
• Experience in inflammation and immune oncology drug discovery preferred.
• Drug metabolism and mass spectrometry experience desirable.
• The candidate should be able to think critically and creatively across multiple disciplines and have demonstrated the ability to solve research problems with experience in standard in vitro assays (e.g. HTRF, FP, ELISA, Immunofluorescence, Western Blot, etc.), including assay development, optimization, and troubleshooting.
• Individual with experience in phenotypic assays and physiologically relevant in vitro models using primary cells and stem cells are preferred.
• Computational skills enabling automated data acquisition and analysis, and familiarity with related software applications (MS Access, Spotfire) is desirable.
• The candidate must be able to analyze and report data concisely and rigorously. Adaptability and the ability to learn new techniques rapidly are essential.
• Familiarity in the use of automation and HTS instrumentation is preferable.
• Ability to multitask and successfully interact with a diverse team of scientists to deliver results meeting the needs of various stakeholder groups is essential.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors: Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.