Search & Evaluation Lead – Oncology
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Search & Evaluation Lead – Oncology in our Cambridge office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission
- Responsible for working closely with other relevant functions within the broader Takeda organization to (i) develop an BD strategy consistent with the Oncology Business Unit (OBU), Oncology Therapeutic Area Unit (OTAU), Oncology Drug Discovery Unit (ODDU) R&D and commercial strategies (ii) identify and triage opportunities consistent with the agreed strategies and (iii) lead cross-functional due diligence teams to efficiently assess and prioritize in-licensing and alliance opportunities.
- The Search & Evaluation Lead - Oncology will be responsible for scouting, performing and continuously updating a comprehensive landscape and business development scouting role for their client bases (OBU, OTAU, ODDU)
- Working in close partnership with the OBU, OTAU, and ODDU leadership teams to identify and drive major in-licensing and research alliance opportunities that deliver upon the external innovation strategies of Takeda R&D
- Will serve in an ambassador role working directly with internal and external key opinion leaders and operational leadership within the Center for External Innovation (CEI), Global Business Development (GBD), and Takeda R&D including Strategic Academic Alliances (SAA) and Takeda Ventures Inc (TVI)
- Will be involved with start-up initiatives across Takeda leadership teams such as branding, process improvement, next-generation sourcing tools, etc.
- Will drive late stage projects as necessary
- Proactively monitor commercial, academic, and IP landscape for all external discovery and development stage innovations which may address relevant to the Takeda Oncology pipeline.
- In close partnership with the OBU, OTAU, and ODDU leadership teams, actively prospect for and help drive research alliances, preclinical and clinical collaborations with external parties including Pharmaceutical companies, Biotech companies, Academic, and Not-for-Profit institutes that will enhance the Oncology pipeline.
- For OBU, OTAU, and ODDU in-licensing/collaboration opportunities:
- Be the CEI/GBD/Takeda point of contact with the sponsoring Therapeutic Unit and the external commercial/academic collaborators.
- Coordinate technical evaluation and due diligence teams where appropriate.
- Develop presentations/proposals for Senior Management approval.
- Support Takeda Oncology project teams (discovery, development and marketing), SAA/TVI, GBD, and regional BD on partnering activities in terms of technical expertise / Due Diligence
- Lead scouting and partnering interactions for oncology at key conferences including JP Morgan (JPM) / Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) as well as at AACR, ASCO and ASH
- Liaise effectively with CEI/GBD’s licensing transaction teams to consummate deals.
- Effectively bridge breakthrough science and/or transforming technology platform opportunities with all relevant internal stakeholder groups.
- Build a strong outreach program by establishing and maintaining strong working relationships with Senior Management and business development groups of potential partner companies, key PI’s and Tech Transfer groups at Research Institutions and in the Venture community
- Be an ambassador for the Takeda business development brand ensuring Takeda is perceived as a “Partner of Choice”.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D., M.D. or equivalent degree is required; training in a biological (pharmacology /biology/biochemistry) discipline preferred.
- At least 10 year’s experience in the Pharma/Biotech industry and in Oncology, preferably including both preclinical and clinical drug development
- Must demonstrate scientific knowledge and gravitas to hold/drive meaningful scientific discussions with industrial and academic experts and key opinion leaders in Oncology
- A track record of success in sourcing/driving significant business development opportunities in a commercial and/or academic arena related to Oncology.
- A well-established commercial/academic network is strongly preferred along with a progressive knowledge of innovative alliance structures, industry trends and competitive issues related to pharmaceutical business development.
- Creative, results oriented self-starter with the ability to deliver.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to work independently and in a leadership role within stakeholder groups
- Willingness to travel to various meetings or client sites, including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required.
- Requires approximately 15-25% travel.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.