Publication Strategy and Execution Advisor
At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We're looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
Scientific Disclosure Strategy Development for Key Launch Assets
Scientific Disclosure Strategy Development for Key Launch Assets
- You will lead the development of the SD strategy for priority launch asset(s) for therapeutic area, providing effective and novel publication strategies for the team.
- Represents/presents SD strategy and plan to leadership and /or leadership meetings.
- Carefully studies and builds/maintains expertise on the publication environment (and other communication channels), including monitoring congresses/journals and competitor publication strategies/activities within disease state/area of responsibility.
- Identifies gaps and opportunities for disclosure, and provides recommendations to the team
- Engages with customers, opinion leaders, patient advocacy groups, professional societies/medical associations, and publishers.
- Develops close, cross-functional relationships with development/medical affairs and other communications experts within Lilly. Collaborates and advises asset teams on publication strategy, planning, and execution for critical launces.
- Uses external and internal insights to identify emerging trends, needs, and requirements and to inform, develop, and refine GSC and Lilly launch and publication strategies.
- Uses strong strategic and analytical thinking to develop, defend, and implement strategic and tactical plans
- Ensures consistency of regional/affiliate publication strategies.
- Identifies synergies and drives for alignment across portfolio when indications overlap.
- Works independently to integrate input from senior management, resolve conflicting input, and incorporate multiple needs and strategies into a publication plan that is acceptable to all parties, and that is transparent and compliant
- Identifies opportunities for synergy with other departments/vendors and forms those synergies.
- Builds positive relationships with Global R&D, Marketing, Market Access/GPORWE and other groups.
- May represents GSC in due diligence activities.
- Collaborates with Alliance Management to formulate publication/disclosure charters for alliance partner products, as applicable.
- Responsible/accountable for management/delivery of overall book of work for assigned area.
- Develops and executes sourcing plans to ensure seamless delivery of asset plan and priorities.
- Collaborates with functional management/capabilities leadership to ensure alignment of business planning and operations, coordinating across and developing synergies with therapeutic areas, phases of development, and geographies.
- Adjusts work plan based on shifting priorities using effective change control.
- Leads and directs team members in achieving team goals.
- Identifies and resolves issues impacting delivery of work.
- Partners with other GSC leads to ensure consistent communication and appropriate sourcing strategies are in place in support of overall delivery of portfolio.
- Conceives of and implements new and efficient ways to accomplish goals.
- Partners in the selection process and may maintain relationship for preferred vendors.
- Regularly reports results of team activities to leadership and stakeholders.
- Recruit, develop, and retain a strategic and operationally capable workforce skilled and knowledgeable in scientific communications.
- Effectively build and manage an agile organization that continuously meets the needs of a changing portfolio.
- Craft an organizational culture that fosters inclusion and innovation.
- Develop staff who demonstrate expertise in drug development, therapeutic area science, strategic thinking, project management and cross-functional leadership
- Develop an organizational talent base that demonstrates discernment based decision-making
- Provides mentorship, training, and supervision to junior GSC personnel.
- Evaluates performance by reviewing documents, and attending writing team meetings, and recommends developmental actions for all assigned staff
- Functions as company expert on SD strategy, planning and execution, industry standards and guidelines, such as GPP, ICMJE requirements, and PhRMA guidelines
- Contributes to design and building of training on publication practices for audiences within and outside of Global Scientific Communications.
- In partnership with others, develops, implements, and updates Lilly publication policies, practices and tools (e.g., authorship, data disclosure, funding) and procedures that are aligned with industry guidelines
- Bachelor's degree in scientific, health, communications, or technology related field
- 5 years of pharmaceutical industry experience
- 3 years pharmaceutical publication writing and/or publication planning
- Successful leadership of at least 1 product launch, including planning and execution of launch activities
- 1 year experience leading and influencing others; proven ability to coach and develop others
- 1 year experience in leading/managing an asset or portfolio
- Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to be employed in the United States. Lilly does not anticipate providing sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H-1B or TN status) for this employment position
- Successful completion of writing exercise
- Advanced degree (MA/MS, PharmD, PhD) preferred.
- Experience in writing, reviewing, and publishing scientific materials and the ability to appraise scientific literature and raw data critically for potential development of new publications.
- Possess scientific understanding and knowledge to be an effective partner with Medical and Early Phase/Pre-Clinical units in developing SD Plans.
- Successful leadership of at multiple TA/product launches, including planning and execution of launch activities
- multiple successful launches of new products/indications and therapeutic areas
- Excellent communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational and negotiation skills
- Experience with effective partnering with Medical Affairs / Development in developing SD plans.
- Expert understanding of Good Publication Practices, ICMJE requirements, and PhRMA guidelines is essential
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership for and management of multiple staff and projects
- Supervisory experience or experience leading others.
- Experience managing budgets
- Knowledge of scientific, statistical, and research principles and guidelines
- Demonstrated ability to identify gaps and develop publication strategies
- Knowledge of publication management software/tools
- Excellent organizational skills
- Location: Based at Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis
- Travel: 20%
- Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.