Global Category Sr Manager
The Global Category Strategic Sourcing Senior Manager will report into the Research & Development Sourcing Director within Global Strategic Sourcing (GSS) and will be responsible for up to ~$200M spend to include a number of categories within Research and Development. The Senior Manager will be accountable for developing and managing the overall sourcing and supplier management process(es) for this evolving category.
- Drives the global roadmap for R&D sourcing in identifying, evaluating, negotiating and implementing these strategies within Amgen's R&D ecosystem
- Develops strong relationships with key stakeholders / groups (R&D, Finance, Law, Global Business Solutions & Amgen Capability Center in Tampa) and with key providers in current and future markets
- Acts as a trusted business advisor providing thought leadership and consistent customer service whilst delivering qualitative and quantitative value to the organization
- Provides subject matter advise to internal and external stakeholder groups addressing current/future business needs demonstrating marketplace and category knowledge
- Leads and influences stakeholder groups with sound and articulate business case recommendations (i.e. build vs buy strategy) with quantifiable financial benefits
- Champion of Productivity efforts within stakeholder base
Delivering Value for Customers
- Acts as an ambassador for the GSS function and the key point of contact for the category
- Demonstrates connected thinking and strategy beyond the category with pull through in understanding how to drive value within the category of responsibility and multiple functional areas
- Effectively drives cross-category collaboration where 'overlapping' stakeholder groups, geographic regions and / or where requirements exist (i.e. Category responsibilities outside the US)
- Responsive and adaptable to the evolving and complex business needs, innovation and supply markets
- Manages, minimizes and mitigates supply/contractual/regulatory risk leveraging key functions where appropriate (Legal, Compliance, Data Privacy, Cybersecurity, Audit etc.)
- Accountable for complex RFP including strong commercial negotiations, supporting the team with data analytics, leading supplier evaluations and contractual negotiations in collaboration with stakeholders and business partners
Developing Category Strategies
- Designs and develops multi-year category sourcing strategy for R&D categories in alignment with stakeholder annual / multi-year plans
- Leads the overall sourcing process to Supplier Relationship Management for the categories of ownership across multiple functional groups globally
- Builds a pipeline of category projects as the global lead in collaboration with relevant business partners
- Brings and grows industry/business function-specific knowledge and experience, and proactively identifies opportunities for Productivity
- Initiates/builds industry/functional peer relationships bringing back best practice/innovation for the category
- Translates external opportunities into internal business cases and opportunities
Doctorate degree and 2 years of Sourcing plus any combination of Finance, Engineering/Computer Science, Management Consulting and Data Sciences experience
Master's degree and 6 years of Sourcing plus any combination of Finance, Engineering/Computer Science, Management Consulting and Data Sciences experience
Bachelor's degree and 8 years of Sourcing plus any combination of Finance, Engineering/Computer Science, Management Consulting and Data Sciences experience
Associate's degree and 10 years of Sourcing plus any combination of Finance, Engineering/Computer Science, Management Consulting and Data Sciences experience
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of Sourcing plus any combination of Finance, Engineering/Computer Science, Management Consulting and Data Sciences experience
2 years of managerial experience directly managing people and/or leadership experience leading teams, projects, programs or directing the allocation of resources
- Solid understanding of procurement/sourcing/category management methodology and able to drive value for customers leveraging the right sourcing levers
- Excellent and disciplined project management and prioritization skills with ability to react to project adjustments and alterations promptly and efficiently
- Can conform to shifting priorities and have ability to drive multiple simultaneous project implementations
- Strong commercial acumen in order to drive sourcing and demand management strategies and supply negotiations
- Proven ability to deliver complex multi-regional and/or global projects in a matrixed and global environment
- Track record in establishing strong SOW/SLAs and ensuring supplier performance
- Broad knowledge of the market forces shaping a customer's business context (e.g. supplier base, legal & regulatory environment, sources of competitive advantage)
- Ability to conduct benchmarking to address cost, quality, risk and innovation considerations
- Ability to provide thought leadership, ability to influence and actively shape strategy
- A sourcing expert with strong financial acumen and problem solving skills
- Independent self-starter and able to motivate others to accomplish ambiguous tasks
- Clear thinker, disciplined, logical and organized with the ability to prioritize
- Strong oral and written communication / presentation / collaboration skills
- Strong executive communicator with the ability to create and communicate complex business cases in a simple and effective manner
- Ability to lead teams in a matrix organization, across geographies enabling successful transition and operational change for the business
- Demonstrated track record of identifying root causes to issues and proactively problem solving complex organizational needs
- Compelling and persuasive communicator (oral and written) with excellent interpersonal and influencing skills
- Ability to incubate, develop, communicate, obtain support and implement business cases
Analytical & Technical
- Proven technical knowledge and business ability related to services within Research and Development in the Biotech industry
- Strong understanding of the sourcing, contract negotiations, and supplier management processes
- Ability to analyze spend data and present insights based on the needs of the audience
- Understands the Source to Pay processes including managing sourcing projects in Ariba, including the execution of online RFx and e-Auctions
- Proficiency in MS Office tools (powerpoint and excel), ERP systems etc.
- CPM qualification (US) or CIPS qualification (UK) is desirable
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.