Associate Director, Medical Communication
Ready to join a team committed to moving gene therapies into the clinical and commercial settings for patients and families devastated by rare neurological genetic diseases? AveXis is advancing cutting-edge science to treat rare and life-threatening genetic diseases starting with our clinical-stage, proprietary gene therapy candidate, AVXS-101 (ZOLGENSMA®). We are in the midst of an incredible journey and are looking for passionate individuals to join us on this important mission.
AveXis, Inc. is a clinical-stage gene therapy company, dedicated to developing and commercializing novel treatments for patients suffering from rare and life-threatening neurological genetic diseases. Our initial product candidate, AVXS-101, is our proprietary gene therapy product candidate currently in development for the treatment of spinal muscular atrophy, or SMA, Type 1, the leading genetic cause of infant mortality, and for the treatment of SMA Type 2. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration, or FDA, has granted AVXS-101 Orphan Drug Designation for the treatment of all types of SMA and Breakthrough Therapy Designation, as well as Fast Track Designation for the treatment of SMA Type 1. In addition to developing AVXS-101 to treat SMA Type 1 and Type 2, we also plan to develop other novel treatments for rare neurological diseases, including Rett syndrome (RTT) and a genetic form of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) caused by mutations in the superoxide dismutase 1 (SOD1) gene.
AveXis is seeking an Associate Director Global Medical Communications who will ensure that medical and scientific results from AveXis studies are communicated in an accurate, timely, compliant and compelling manner. The successful candidate will play a major role in developing and implementing the global strategic medical communication plan and liaising with country/regional medical teams.
- Develop and execute key medical communication deliverables, and leading global activities related to symposia, congresses, and medical education.
- Lead congress strategy and planning in conjunction with cross-functional partners and country/regional teams.
- Lead the development of high-impact scientific content for medical communications related activities such as symposia, digital assets, and booth resources and ensure distribution to country/regional teams.
- Develop and implement a scientific communication platform and medical communication plan for AVXS-101, in collaboration with the medical affairs team, the publication lead, and other cross-functional stakeholders.
- Partner with country/regional teams to understand scientific communication needs and identify gaps while ensuring global alignment of communications and scientific messages.
- Analyze insights gained from medical affairs activities and recommend actionable initiatives (or measures) to internal stakeholders.
- Interface and effectively collaborate with external stakeholders and internal cross-functional teams including clinical research, clinical operations regulatory, safety, biostatistics, to ensure accurate and timely completion/delivery of medical communication deliverables.
- Advanced degree, (MD, PhD, or PharmD) with a minimum of 5 years in the bio-pharmaceutical industry required.
- Deep understanding of the strategic role that medical communications serves to support AveXis education and communication priorities and requirements.
- Ability to work on several projects at once while balancing multiple and overlapping timelines.
- Successful track record of managing multiple projects in a fast-paced and deadline-driven environment.
- Ability to devise creative communications solutions.
- Demonstrated leadership in a matrix organization, able to motivate and inspire team members to high performance levels.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective collaborative relationships with team members, management and internal/external partners.
- Demonstrated ability to be a consistent high-level contributor or leader of multiple projects, processes, or functions.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Line management experience desired.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to travel (up to 30%) for conferences and meetings.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
AveXis is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.