VP of Communications
Headquartered in South San Francisco, CA, Principia Biopharma (NASDAQ: PRNB) is a clinical late-stage biopharmaceutical company engaged in discovery and development of novel small molecule therapeutics in the areas of immunology and oncology. As such, we are comprised of a team of exceptionally talented scientists and business leaders. We are seeking confident individuals who thrive in a culture of diversity, empowerment and accountability. Principia’s novel approach to drug development combines the dosing convenience of a small molecule drug with characteristics of an antibody. Our drugs are designed to be effective, potent, selective, durable and safer than traditional small molecule drugs. Our management team has extensive experience in development and commercialization, having served in leadership roles at several leading biopharma companies. Our strategy is to leverage this experience to develop and commercialize products that we believe can be successful in the autoimmune diseases marketplace.
Principia Biopharma seeks candidates who are highly self-motivated and can work in a collaborative fashion with other interdisciplinary team members in a fast-paced company that seeks to transform the treatment of immune and oncology driven diseases with a near term focus in autoimmunity with our late stage oral small molecule Bruton’s Tyrosine Kinase (BTK) inhibitors.
The VP of Communications will lead the development and implementation of Principia’s strategic communications initiatives to build Principia’s identity, reputation and visibility across multiple stakeholders, including media, patient advocacy, potential customers and employees. Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the position will work closely with Principia’s executive and senior leadership, investor relations and other key stakeholders.
Job Description and Key Responsibilites
The Communications position will play a key role generating the internal and external communications strategy for our portfolio of assets and corporate messages to ensure the company's evolving story is communicated effectively. This position will work across functional areas including corporate communications/ PR, commercial, investor relations, clinical, medical affairs, research and HR. They will be the point person for generating, reviewing and deploying communication initiative across various mediums (with subject matter expertise assistance) and responsible for consistently communicating across multiple channels and platforms, including media and scientific conferences.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop communications strategies and plans that effectively communicate Principia’s corporate and product stories to external audiences; generate awareness and a positive external response to the company’s vision and corporate objectives
- Provide leadership, development, direction, and management of all external communications initiatives, including media and key constituency relations.
- Partner with the executive team and other functional team members to develop and maintain overall stewardship of the corporate brand, positioning and messaging
- Act as a strategic communications advisor to product and project teams, to support and advise on communications and message development
- Direct media relations program; establish and maintain excellent and productive relationships with healthcare, biotech business and local media
- Support the development of high-quality communications materials and messages, including press releases, fact sheets, talking points and Q&A documents
- Create and update content on Corporate website
- Serve as point among internal stakeholders, such as legal, commercial, clinical operations and regulatory/compliance and SME (subject matter experts) for key external communications
- Support the development of collaborative, mutually beneficial partnerships with patient advocacy groups
- Oversee public relations agencies and associated budgets and program measurement.
- Assist in development of internal communications with the aims of fostering morale and our internal ethos and understanding of Principia, of making internal, HR/benefit, and other information accessible, of integrating new employees, and assisting in rolling out of internal initiatives.
Key Requirements and Qualifications
- 7+ years of progressive communications experience in pharmaceuticals/ biotech
- Experience in or with public pharmaceuticals/ biotech companies is a must; combination of PR agency and in-house experience preferred; experience with late-stage programs and commercial products/launches a plus
- Solid track record of identifying and analyzing communications opportunities and business issues and developing and leading external and internal communications with best-in-class communication practices
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to evolving market and competitive dynamics, and utilize sound judgment to establish appropriate solutions
- Extensive and successful experience with developing and executing communication strategies and tactics
- Strong executive leadership skills, communication, presentation and business partnering ability
- Proven ability to work with and effectively influence leadership teams while operating in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, decisive/deadline-oriented environment, heavily regulated industry ; strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with others in a positive, collaborative manner
- High level of intellectual curiosity combined with strong strategic and analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to build strong customer relationships
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, with a keen ability to multi-task
- Knowledge of commercial compliance and all laws and regulations that govern our industry
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- BA/BS required, MBA preferred
Principia Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.