Therapeutic Proteins Intern, Summer 2019
Known for its scientific and operational excellence, Regeneron is a leading science-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, invents, develops, manufactures, and commercializes medicines for the treatment of serious medical conditions. Regeneron commercializes medicines for eye diseases, high LDL-cholesterol, atopic dermatitis and a rare inflammatory condition and has product candidates in development in other areas of high unmet medical need, including rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, pain, cancer and infectious diseases.
These positions are in Therapeutic Antibodies in Tarrytown, NY. There are 8 openings for Summer 2019. Each opening is described below.
Position 1: The student will gain insight into the field of therapeutic antibodies through the use of pharmacokinetic studies. The goals of the intern would be to gain extensive experience in ELISA and Gyros based immuoassays which are used to measure total antibody concentrations of antibodies generated using the VelocImmune© platform and to screen for anti-mouse antibody titers in mouse serum. Additionally, they will learn how to use automation as a means for streamlining the serum sample analysis. The intern additionally will help coordinate the initiation of a PK study which will be used to help characterize humanized mice that will be used as a method for screening lead therapeutic antibodies by PK. The intern will have an opportunity to gain hands-on-experience with the ELISA and Gyros platforms, using them to analyze the PK samples. They will also gain experience in analysis using Prism and Excel and increase their presentation skills using PowerPoint. Additionally, the intern will be able to gain an understanding of how to interpret PK data and how it can be used as a means to characterize lead therapeutic antibody candidates that are generated using the VelocImmune© platform.
Position 2: The student will investigate novel approaches to break immune tolerance to targets in VI mice and the mechanisms underlying generation of immune responses post immunization. The intern will also work on ongoing projects in support of therapeutic antibody generation. The intern will assist in evaluating immune responses using techniques such as ELISA, ELISPOT, and Flow Cytometry and work closely with other members in Therapeutic Proteins Department.
Position 3: This student will work in the Hybridoma Isolation group. The student will research B-cell hybridomas and technology development. This will be an opportunity to learn both techniques related to hybridoma antibody isolation as well as B-cell and antibody biology. We are seeking a self-motivated, science-minded individual who will strive to contribute to the research goals of the group. Job duties will include sterile tissue culture, immunoscreening and flow cytometry. Prior laboratory experience, including sterile tissue culture technique, is preferred.
Position 4: Regeneron is interested in developing antibody-based therapeutics to combat Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and other neurological pathologies. These fibrillar pathogens post challenges to the development of robust antigen binding assay for antibody screening using the traditional ELISA. We have proposed a bead based assay: AlphaLISA, which uses luminescent oxygen-channeling chemistry, is being developed as an alternative to ELISA. Unlike ELISA, AlphaLisa is rapid and does not employ wash steps, making them ideal for antibody screening. The primary focus of the internship will be to develop and standardize AlphaLisa assays to screen and identify antibodies that specifically bind to protein targets implicated in neurological pathologies.
The student will initially learn the working principles of the AlphaLisa assay and the operation of its associated robotics, followed by developing target specific AlphaLisa assays and its optimization to match current primary screening protocols. Finally, the optimized AlphaLisa assay will be tested under high-throughput (HT) antibody screenings to compare with concurrently run ELISA assays. At the end of the internship, the intern will present the findings in an oral and/or poster format. This internship provides hands-on learning opportunity in general laboratory practices, assay development, antibody screening and HT robotic systems, currently used in the bio-pharmaceutical industry.
Position 5: The intern assigned to the Pre-clinical Assay Reagents group will gain insight into how antibodies can be developed and used as reagents for research and pre-clinical studies. The intern will learn High Throughput screening techniques used for identifying monoclonal antibodies (mAbs) from hybridoma supernatants and understand how to identify and move clones forward from each tier of the screening process. The intern will get an understanding of epitope binning by learning techniques used for identifying mAbs binding to different epitopes (non-competing mAbs) or same epitope (competing mAbs). In addition, the intern will gain experience in assay design, use of liquid handling robots, data interpretarion and analysis using Microsoft excel and Graphpad prism and increase presentation skills using Microsoft powerpoint.
Start building your skills at Regeneron.
• Must be an undergraduate student
• Must be pursuing a degree in the Biological Sciences, Chemistry, or Life Sciences
• Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, time management and organizational skills. Candidates must be strong team players and must be able to multi task.
• Position 1: Must have experience with Gyros, ELISA and FACS based analysis; handling of mouse tissue and serum samples. Must have experience in handling of mouse tissue and serum samples. Although the intern will no do actual animal work, they must be comfortable with observing simple animal techniques such as injections and blood collection.
• Positions 2 and 3: Must be interested in developing research skills in immunology and presentation skills thereby enhancing their career building efforts. Experience with sterile tissue culture.
• Positions 4: Must have experience with pippetting solution preparation. Must have experience using Excel and other graphing software like PRISM. Familiarity working in a cell culture laboratory is desirable.
General Intern Program Information:
• Must be enrolled in, or accepted to, an academic program pursuing a Bachelor's, Master's, PhD or PharmD
• Summer Program is full-time (~40 hrs/wk) for at least 10 weeks and is paid
• Prefer demonstrated leadership in areas such as campus activities, clubs, sports or the community
• Minimum GPA of 3.0
• You will work with a specific manager on a project(s)
• Enjoy weekly 1 hour Intern Program events: learn about other areas of the company from VPs and other employees, soft skills workshops, networking, volunteering, and more!
• Present to your team on your summer project
Transportation and Housing:
• A free shuttle is offered from the North White Plains or Tarrytown train stations to the Tarrytown campus
• Get to know other incoming Interns on our closed LinkedIn page when you accept an offer
This is an opportunity to join our select team that is already leading the way in the Pharmaceutical/Biotech industry. Apply today and learn more about Regeneron's unwavering commitment to combining good science & good business.
To all agencies: Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee of Regeneron about this opening. All resumes submitted by search firms/employment agencies to any employee at Regeneron via-email, the internet or in any form and/or method will be deemed the sole property of Regeneron, unless such search firms/employment agencies were engaged by Regeneron for this position and a valid agreement with Regeneron is in place. In the event a candidate who was submitted outside of the Regeneron agency engagement process is hired, no fee or payment of any kind will be paid.
Regeneron is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.