Senior Systems Architech II/III, Image Informatics
Be a part of a revolution to transform anatomic pathology from a descriptive to a quantitative discipline by the application of artificial intelligence methods to whole slide images while working to identify new drug targets and biomarkers at Abbvie (Worcester, MA). In this position you will join a team of pathologists, bioinformaticians and molecular biologists to correlate morphologic changes with molecular profiles to better understand targeted diseases and develop innovative therapies. We are looking for looking for a scientist with experience in the application of machine and deep learning to whole slide images to creatively quantify complex morphologic changes. The selected individual will work closely with IT experts across all R&D sites to set strategies around image capture, analysis, and storage. Additionally, this position will integrate seamlessly with preclinical efficacy, safety and translational research scientists across therapeutic areas to accelerate the impact of image analysis.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Working with pathologists to devise innovative, standardized applications of artificial intelligence (especially deep learning) to bright field and fluorescent digital histologic images (including whole slide images, confocal and cytologic samples) to advance Abbvie's pipeline.
- Working with molecular biologists and bioinformatiticians to integrate morphologic big data with molecular biology
- Acting as an internal resource in AI/ML across disciplines and advise how its applications can impact beyond traditional anatomic pathology (flow cytometry, in-vivo imaging, live-cell imaging, identification of chemical structures, etc.) and champion new developments in the area of deep learning for biomedical imaging
- Working closely with Enterprise Architecture to enable high performance computing capabilities to be leveraged by the AbbVie biological imaging community.
- Serving as a bridge between the scientific experts and software engineers to provide guidance for novel platforms to enable transformational image analytics.
- Effectively organizing and presenting project objectives and progress. Authoring and/or contributing to publications and presentations.
- Understanding and adhering to corporate standards regarding applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies, including code of conduct, safety, GxP compliance, and data security.
- BS, MS, or Ph.D in Biology, Pathology, Biomedical Engineering, or related discipline
- 12+ (BS), 10+ (MS), or 4+ (Ph.D) years of experience in the pharmaceutical or life science area working with image analysis on whole slide digital images.
- Experience with commercial digital pathology software (Aperio, Halo, Visiopharm, etc.) and open source tools for image analysis (ImageI, Fiji, Weka) is required.
- Familiarity with one or more programming languages (Python, Java, R, MATLAB).
- Experience in using AI platforms (TensorFlow, scikit-learn, Apache Mxnet, Keras) and HPC technologies (AWS, Docker).
- Demonstrated ability to develop and train deep learning algorithms, specifically applied to imaging data.
- Ability to clearly communicate ideas and findings to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal skills - enthusiastic about sharing knowledge and collaborating with other teams.
- The ideal candidate will have an advanced degree (Ph.D preferred) in Biology, Pathology, Biomedical Engineering, or a related discipline with 5+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical or life science area working with image analysis on whole slide digital images.
Key Leadership Competencies
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrated ability to work within a team environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled