Plant Utilities Engineer
Ready to join a team committed to moving gene therapies into the clinical and commercial settings for patients and families devastated by rare neurological genetic diseases? AveXis is advancing cutting-edge science to treat rare and life-threatening genetic diseases starting with our clinical-stage, proprietary gene therapy candidate, AVXS-101. We are in the midst of an incredible journey and are looking for passionate individuals to join us on this important mission.
AveXis, Inc., a Novartis Company , is a clinical-stage gene therapy company, dedicated to developing and commercializing novel treatments for patients suffering from rare and life-threatening neurological genetic diseases. Our initial product candidate, AVXS-101, is our proprietary gene therapy product candidate currently in development for the treatment of spinal muscular atrophy, or SMA, Type 1, the leading genetic cause of infant mortality, and for the treatment of SMA Type 2. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration, or FDA, has granted AVXS-101 Orphan Drug Designation for the treatment of all types of SMA and Breakthrough Therapy Designation, as well as Fast Track Designation for the treatment of SMA Type 1. In addition to developing AVXS-101 to treat SMA Type 1 and Type 2, we also plan to develop other novel treatments for rare neurological diseases, including Rett syndrome (RTT) and a genetic form of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) caused by mutations in the superoxide dismutase 1 (SOD1) gene.
AveXis is seeking a Process Engineer - Plant Utilities/Electrical Engineer for the overall performance and monitoring of Black Utility Systems. Responsible for providing operational and project support for Plant utility systems. The operational support will include equipment/system troubleshooting and providing in-house engineering expertise to the maintenance and manufacturing staff.
The primary focus of the position is on plant/electrical utilities and operations (Industrial Steam, Chilled Water, Clean Compressed Air, Hot Water, Electrical, and Waste Water System). All system improvements will be made in conjunction with Manufacturing, Facilities, Validation, Quality Assurance, and Regulatory.
- Act as subject matter expert (SME) and system owner for the following systems:
- Plant Steam, Chilled Water, Clean Compressed Air, and Electrical distribution for GMP and non-GMP environment. Black utilities including Boilers, Chillers, Cooling Towers, Air Compressors, Air Dryers, Pumps, Emergency Generators, and Electrical Switchboard System.
- Troubleshoot issues, determining root cause of problems and provide optimization strategies for utility systems.
- Provide imaginative, thorough and practicable solutions to a wide range of difficult problems.
- Develop alternative courses of action that are based on logical assumptions, factual data and engineering principles.
- Troubleshoot support for complex utility equipment problems as elevated by the plant manufacturing and facilities customer(s).
- Accountable for all phases of the Change Control process for owned changes.
- Owns and ensures timely closure of plant equipment and system related CAPAs.
- Provide and/or ensure generation of all supporting documentation (scope documents; approval slides; work orders; protocols).
- Read and understand mechanical, electrical, and P&ID drawings.
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical, Electrical, or Mechanical/Civil Engineering, or related field or equivalent experience required. PE license is desirable.
- Minimum 5-8 years of experience with clean utility systems, preferably in a regulated environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work and collaborate in cross functional teams, research development, manufacturing in a fast pace, dynamic team setting.
- Working in a team environment, with excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills are essential.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
AveXis is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.