Scientific Director, Lead Discovery Pharmacology
Janssen Research & Development, L.L.C., a division of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies is recruiting for a Scientific Director, Lead Discovery Pharmacology to be located in Spring House, PA.
At the Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson, what matters most is helping people live full and healthy lives. We focus on treating, curing and preventing some of the most devastating and complex diseases of our time. And we pursue the most promising science, wherever it might be found. Please visit http://www.janssenrnd.com/ for more information.
We are Janssen. Our mission drives us. Our patients inspire us. We collaborate with the world for the health of everyone in it.
The new Lead Discovery team is a critical part of the Discovery Sciences organization in Janssen R&D. We are dedicated to discovering high-quality chemical leads needed for the generation of small-molecule clinical compounds in all six Janssen Therapeutic Areas.
The Screening department within Lead Discovery is in a period of strong growth and investment and is responsible for the identification of small-molecules for the initiation of hit-to-lead programs. Our major activities include assay development, screening, mechanistic studies and compound profiling. We place a strong emphasis on pharmacologically relevant models and non-traditional HTS approaches. We connect with key partners for the delivery of goals and objectives, foster an environment of productive collaboration and positive communication, and cultivate excellent performance in the context of a multidisciplinary, geographically disperse team. We interact collaboratively with internal Janssen teams and with external organizations in academia and industry.
As Scientific Director, you will lead multiple assay development groups, consisting of Ph.D. and non-Ph.D. scientists. Your groups will develop pharmacologically-relevant biochemical, cellular and phenotypic assays. You will champion a culture of creativity aligned with therapeutic area objectives and you will have the strategic foresight to help craft the future directions of the department. You will also contribute scientifically to discussions regarding external collaborations.
In this exciting role, you will:
• Own the design and implementation of hit-identification strategies that reflect the pharmacology to be modulated in subsequent hit-to-lead discovery programs.
• Deploy a pharmacology mindset to hit identification.
• Provide scientific and people leadership to develop creative biochemical and cell-based assays to discover chemistry program starting points that are pharmacologically relevant
• Contribute to the development and execution of creative directions for the department.
• Provide mentoring and career development leadership to direct reports and to others within the department as appropriate.
• Collaborate across multiple therapeutic and functional areas in the US, Europe and Asia.
• Attend in-house seminars and external scientific meetings as appropriate.
• Lead external collaborations.
• Publish research in high-quality journals.
• PhD in biochemistry, biophysics, cell biology, pharmacology or related areas is required.
• Postdoctoral experience is preferred.
• A minimum of 10 or more years of industry (ie. pharma, biotech) experience in assay development and in vitro pharmacology is required.
• Record of success as a HTS or in vitro pharmacology group leader is required.
• People management expertise (supervising, coaching, mentoring) is required.
• Expertise with assay development (384 or 1536 well) using biochemical and cellular methods is required.
• Hit triage experience is required.
• Experience leading external collaborations in industry or academia is required.
• Fragment screening experience is preferred.
• Automation experience is preferred to enable interactions with the automation team that executes screens.
• Creative publications in high-quality peer-reviewed journals are required.
• Expertise in cardiovascular, immunology, infectious diseases, neuroscience or oncology therapeutic areas is preferred.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
North America-United States-Pennsylvania-Spring House
Janssen Research & Development, LLC. (6084)