Sr. Animal Technician 1
Under the direct supervision of the Vivarium Manager, this position is primarily responsible for routine animal care and husbandry, facility sanitation and custodial duties. This position may be trained to assist in animal experimentation procedures in rats and mice.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Changing of animal cages, filling water bottles, filling animal cages, lifting / disposing of full trash bags, running the cage washer, washing/mopping floors with floor washing machine, receiving food and bedding, other duties as assigned.
• Washing and sterilization of laboratory glassware.
• Maintaining facilities and equipment to comply with federal, state and local regulations and guidelines for the care and use of laboratory animals.
• Handling and restraining mice and rats.
• Maintaining accurate records (Facility procedures, metrics and environmental parameters).
• Preparing and stocking room supplies
• May provide study support on non-invasive techniques including, but not limited to, animal fasting, body weight, and food and water measurement.
• May assist in harvesting of different tissues/organs from mice and rats and in routine technical procedures.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
• This position requires a high school diploma or equivalent.
• Candidates should have at least 5 years of previous experience in a vivarium and animal care handling.
• AALAS certification is preferred, but not required.
• Ability to lift 50lbs.
• Experience in conducting technical procedures is a plus and/or willingness to learn: injections – PO, IP, IV, IM. blood collection – cardiac, retro-orbital and tail vein, and dosage calculations.
• Self-motivated with the ability to work independently as well as on teams; Professional presence and strong attention to detail is required; Strong communication skills are required.
• Ability to follow all documented procedures
• Demonstrated experience with common computer software (Windows, MS Office, etc.) desired
• PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to lift up to 50 lb. bags, stand, walk; sit; talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
• WORK ENVIRONMENT: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Exposure to animals and chemicals. The ability to work in a fast paced, goal oriented, team-based environment. Close daily contact with rats, mice, clean and dirty bedding, lifting bags up to 50lbs., wearing of dedicated clothes (scrubs) while working.
Rigel Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by the law