Core Data Scientist
The Core Data Science (CDS) team at Amgen is part of the enterprise engineering function with the charter to accelerate Amgen’s Data Science capabilities in the entire Data Science landscape across all geographies and business functions including Research & Development, Operations, and Commercialization. The CDS team is a central group of data scientists who identify business problems and solve them by using various numerical techniques, algorithms, and models in Machine Learning, Statistics, Optimization, and Simulation. The CDS team is rapidly growing and looking for Data Scientists with engineering roots and entrepreneurial mind-set at all levels from individual contributors to experienced managers. This is a great opportunity to help shape Amgen’s rapidly evolving Data Science capabilities in the golden age of biotechnology and no prior biotechnology experience is required! If you are a top Data Scientist excited about making history at a top biotechnology company with top talent, top culture and top benefits, Amgen’s Core Data Science team is interested in partnering with you.
Responsibilities of the Core Data Scientist include:
- Applying Data Science expertise to develop models and algorithms, perform exploratory research, and collaborate with engineers as well as fellow data scientists to productize your solutions.
- Operating as a technical consultant for and a trusted partner to the internal business stakeholders on high impact initiatives to identify, articulate, and drive opportunities that will enhance data-informed decision making.
- Participating in cross-functional initiatives across business functions to build impactful and scalable Data Science solutions as part of an engineering product team.
- Contributing to the R&D road map as a thought leader to shape next-gen Data Science solutions.
- Mentoring others as needed on best practices for design and implementation of cutting-edge Data Science solutions.
Doctorate degree and 2 years of Data Science experience
Master’s Degree and 4 years of Data Science experience
- A Ph.D degree in a quantitative field such as Operations Research, Math, Physics, Quantitative Finance, Computer Science or a related Engineering degree.
- 5+ years of experience in building models and developing algorithms for machine learning, statistics, optimization, and/or simulation in the industry and/or academia.
- 5+ years of experience in managing and analyzing large scale structured and unstructured data using R and/or Python.
- 5+ years of experience in data processing and curating.
- 5+ years of experience in building Data Science solutions as part of a product team with data engineers, software engineers, and product managers.
- Fluency in an object-oriented programming language (such as C++ or Java).
- Exposure to enterprise-wide application development life-cycle in product teams.
- Experience in working directly with or in support of diverse business functions.
Amgen is a biotechnology pioneer since 1980 committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses in areas of high unmet medical need by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology. Amgen has grown to be one of the world’s leading independent biotechnology companies operating in over 100 countries, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential. With its collaborative and respectful culture, Amgen cherishes being science-based as a top value and provides an environment for purposeful work to dramatically improve health outcomes and people’s lives.