Supervisor, Scientific Supplies & Services
Key Responsibilities Includes:
- Supervises the procurement, dispersal, tracking and financial reporting of related material and inventory. Partners with Purchasing and Supplier Management (PSM) to support strategic sourcing initiatives, assures PSM contract implementation, supplier performance, and internal cost accounting and auditing of various commodities regulated by various government agencies. Supports activities of R&D and Operations by sourcing, managing and distributing laboratory chemicals and consumable supplies
- Manages the Laboratory Service group's activities that include the collection, consolidation and co-mingling of hazardous laboratory solvent and chemical waste. Also includes handling, de-activating, and disposing of all Potentially Infectious Medical Waste and tracking chemicals, alcohol, and controlled drugs purchased and dispersed through all scientific stockrooms.
- Manage 4-8 stockroom attendants, stockroom servicers, and/or R&D technicians. This includes setting expectations and goals, provide performance feedback, addressing performance issues, promoting growth & development, implementing cross-training and back-up strategies to ensure appropriate skills and coverage based on site-specific operational requirements.
- Functions as subject-matter expert/key local user with procure-to-pay SAP activities (SRM/ECC) supporting R&D/Operations with project and non-project indirect procurement of supplies, services & equipment, and actively supports invoice payment issue resolution across these organizations.
- Cross-functional teaming and collaboration with R&D/Operations/Regulatory Affairs customers, PSM professionals, Accounts Payable/Corporate Disbursement Organization, Finance, Environmental Health & Safety, IT and an extensive (>400) supplier network.
- Requisitions, stores, and fulfills customer requests for consumable supplies, chemicals and laboratory support services that value more than $30MM with direct impact to departmental budget.
- Provides guidance to IT resources regarding computerized business systems that support the organization and service global customers, and identify/support opportunities for process/system enhancement and integration within the department, across R&D functional areas/sites and Operations to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the organization.
- Also provides business system support based on Corporate and industry technology trends and innovations and acts as operation/system subject matter expert to support standardization efforts and best-in-class practices globally across different R&D sites.
- Compliance - ensures activities are in compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Department of Transportation (DOT), Illinois Emergency Management Administration (IEMA)/Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), Federal/Illinois Environmental Protection Agency (EPA/IEPA), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (BATF), Federal Motor Carrier Safety Act (FMCSA), Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) and Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA
- Fosters relationships with relevant suppliers to promote scientist's awareness and encourage innovative thinking by coordinating seminars, lectures, demonstrations, and an annual Abbvie Scientific Supplier Expo to promote and educate researchers about new products, techniques, best practices and leading edge technology.
- High-school diploma with 10 or more years of relevant experience or BA/BS and 5 years operational/technical/quality experience.
- Effective problem solving and issue identification & resolution skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to collaborate across functional organizations and participate in cross-functional teams
- Ability to foster strong relationships with customers, suppliers and collaborative partners; seeks to understand business trends and identify business opportunities
- Ability to develop, motivate and maintain high-performing teams
- Manage competing priorities effectively
- Science background (chemistry/biology) preferred. Engineering, Business, Supply Chain, or Materials Management experience desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in IT system development process (requirements gathering, design, testing, etc.) is also desirable.
- Minimum 2-4 years experience and advanced working knowledge of purchasing systems and payment processes, preferably in SAP.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled