Process Engineer 3, Separations Process Development
Amyris is seeking an experienced Process Development Engineer to develop separations processes to isolate target molecules from fermentation broths. This engineer will join our Process Development and Engineering team and be part of our Separations Process Development subgroup. The Process Development group has responsibility for early and late stage process development, techno economic analysis, laboratory and pilot plant testing, and technology transfer/manufacturing support for commercial facilities both within Amyris and with external CMOs. Further, this engineer will strive to improve our scale-down models for critical unit operations and thus enable more effective scale-up. This engineer will interact closely with our research, fermentation, environmental health & safety, quality, and chemistry process development teams in Emeryville and across international borders as we bring our new products to market. Finally, this position will work closely with manufacturing organizations, both company owned and contracted, for transferring and optimizing technology to maximize robustness and minimize costs. This position demands an individual whose aspirations are consistent with those of Amyris: high-growth and fast-moving. Ensuring that our projects are executed safely by our employees and our contractors will always be the top priority for the person in this position.
- Be responsible for individual and co-worker safety; strictly adhere to and support all safety procedures and policies
- Prepare project plans, time and resourcing estimates for developing processes for the recovery of products or biomass from fermentation broths
- Develop mass balances and preliminary cost estimates for new processes under development
- Execute laboratory and pilot plant experiments to demonstrate proposed processes
- Use statistical tools to design and analyze experimental data efficiently for process scale-up and troubleshooting
- Apply pre-hazard assessment and internal safety reviews for scaling up safely
- Respond as appropriate to technical support requests from our pilot plants, demonstration plants, and commercial facilities
- Write Development Reports, SOP’s and Technology Transfers and supporting the transfer of technology to Manufacturing sites
- Develop strong working relationships and work collaboratively across all areas of Amyris, and with our manufacturing and engineering partners
- Embrace Amyris Core Values
- BS in Biochemical or Chemical engineering with 5+ years of industrial experience in process development, product development or manufacturing
- Industrial laboratory process development/scale-up/manufacturing experience at 1L and larger scale, using at least 2 of the following unit operations: evaporation, extraction, adsorption, filtration, centrifugation
- Hands-on experience with relevant analytical tools, e.g. GC, HPLC, UV-Vis
- Previous experience developing PFDs, mass and energy balances, and equipment specifications for pilot or manufacturing scale
- Previous experience with fermentation and/or biochemical processes
- Ability to travel up to 20%
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic environment that requires strong communication and multi-tasking skills
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Embrace Amyris Core Values
- Adherence to Amyris Safety Policies and Procedures
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris’ molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com.
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
If you are a recruiter or placement agency, please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Amyris, Inc. prior to having a signed agreement. Amyris is not liable for and will not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved recruitment partners. Furthermore, any resumes sent to us without an agreement in place will be considered your company’s gift to Amyris and may be forwarded to our recruiters for their attention.
For a full list of our current openings, please visit our website <http://www.amyris.com/careers>.