Senior Process Development Scientist/ Engineer, Cell Culture
Just, Inc. is on a mission to bring delicious, accessible, healthier and more sustainable food to everyone, everywhere. Our world-class team of scientists and researchers leverage cutting-edge robotics to screen through the vast plant kingdom to identify new applications in food. Our Michelin star chefs combine these ingredient discoveries with decades of culinary expertise to create great tasting, high quality products.
Our Just-branded products can be found at retailers nationwide from Walmart to Whole Foods to Dollar Tree, and through pioneering foodservice industry partnerships, they are served at thousands of public schools, hundreds of colleges and universities, sports stadiums and Fortune 500 company cafeterias.
The San Francisco-based company, founded by CEO Josh Tetrick in 2011, has been recognized by the World Economic Forum as a technology pioneer and has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies” in food and social good, Entrepreneur’s “100 Brilliant Companies,” CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” and TIME’s “100 New Scientific Discoveries.” Tetrick himself has been selected as one of Inc.’s “35 Under 35” and Fortune’s “40 Under 40.”
You will be a key member of our Bioprocessing team in our Cellular Agriculture department and essential in producing sustainable and cost-effective clean meat products. You will be responsible for developing and scaling up our animal cell culture platform and will partner with experts in cell biology, process engineering and manufacturing teams to accomplish the above.
Role & Responsibilities
- Design and execute experiments in bioreactors / shake flasks including process and media optimization to achieve key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Collaborate with other functional groups including cell-line and analytical development teams for screening and characterization studies.
- Perform systematic and thorough statistical data analysis on reactor data to deduce clear conclusions.
- Assist in technology transfer activities and scale-up/scale-down studies.
- Author, review and support continuous improvement of batch records and SOPs
- Mentor interns and research associates as required.
- PhD in chemical / biochemical / biological engineering or related discipline with at least 5-10 years of experience in biotechnology / biopharmaceutical industry.
- Experience in design and operation of bioreactors is required.
- Proven technical experience in developing animal cell culture-based processes.
- Knowledge in technology transfer and scale-up is a plus.
- Excellent technical writing, communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to multi-task and meet aggressive deadlines.
- Mission-driven, self-directed and enthusiastic about collaborating with an inter-disciplinary team of scientists and engineers.
- Ability to pass a standard background check