Senior Director, Epidemiology
The Senior Director, Epidemiology is a leader within the Pharmacovigilance and Patient Safety organization. He or she may lead a therapeutic area, group of products or indications or a key technical or functional component of the epidemiology remit. In addition to leading studies, programs and initiatives, he or she develops strategic external relationships and represents AbbVie at congresses, meetings and other professional events. Some key areas of contribution expected for the Senior Director include: (a)Develop therapeutic area epidemiology strategy across products and in collaboration with other cross-functional leaders (b) Ensure quality and timeliness of key deliverables within the area of oversight (d) be accountable for strategic direction for regulatory submissions and responses; (d) Set and communicate epidemiology strategy and position (e) Represent AbbVie in regulatory interactions, where deemed appropriate (f) Evaluate and deploy resources according to business needs and priorities (f) develop talent and future leaders in epidemiology and PPS (g) advocate for and manage funding for key initiative and projects (g) drive scientific excellence and innovation in pharmacoepidemiology.
- Leads a therapeutic area or other key technical or functional area in epidemiology and is accountable for strategy and execution.
- May supervise direct reports and be responsible for team performance and talent development.
- Mentors and seeks to develop staff throughout epidemiology and PPS.
- Drives cross-functional strategy and collaboration to achieve program goals.
- Effectively advocates for ideas and solutions including securing support and funding to achieve epidemiology, PPS and AbbVie goals.
- Leads or oversees studies, projects and collaborations and ensures high scientific standards and delivery.
- Accountable for pharmacoepidemiology studies in the area of leadership and ensuring scientific quality of all contributions to regulatory, safety and other high impact work (e.g. publications, external presentations, internal senior level presentations, etc).
- Advises and collaborates in epidemiology wide strategy, conceives of and leads department wide initiatives, talent management and development and contributes to broader PPS strategy.
- Provides expert guidance to teams, senior PPS leadership and the broader AbbVie organization, where needed
- Is a model of inclusion, diversity of perspective, and positive behavioral attributes.
- Leads the integration of epidemiology across the enterprise and seeks to continually improve process and performance for the greater good.
- Advances the science of pharmacoepidemiology, pharmacovigilance and safety science through external contributions and scientific leadership.
- Maintains high-level understanding of U.S. and international safety regulations and current regulatory safety review processes.
- Business acumen: Knows how businesses work; knowledgeable in current and possible future polices, practices, trends, developments in information affecting his/her business and organization; knows the competition; is aware of how strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.
- Negotiating: Can negotiate skillfully in tough situations with both internal and external groups; can settle differences with minimum noise; can win concessions without damaging relationships; can be direct and forceful as well as diplomatic; gains trust quickly of other parties to the negotiations; has a good sense of timing.
- Directing others: Is good at establishing clear directions; sets stretching objectives; maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results; brings out the best in people; is a clear communicator.
- Drive for results: Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- Building effective teams: creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue.
- MPH or MS w ith at least 12 years of experience or MD/PharmD/PhD with at least 10 years of experience in the field of epidemiology, outcomes research or related discipline.
- 5+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical or service provider industry.
- Experience working with safety and regulatory documents and deliverables.
- People management and team leadership (if required for position)