Research Investigator, Digital Pathology
We are seeking a highly-motivated research scientist with extensive experience in image analysis and feature extraction of H&E and/or immunohistochemistry (IHC) stains to join our Digital Pathology team in the Translational Bioinformatics group. This group of computational scientists is responsible for advancing Bristol-Myers Squibb's industry-leading pipeline, within the Immuno-Oncology space, through the strategic application of cutting-edge pathology image analysis and bioinformatics approaches. The group interacts with and impacts all aspects of R&D at BMS, from early discovery through late-stage development. The successful candidate must have experience in utilizing pathology image analysis software in the quantification of IHC staining expression, including tumor/stroma classification and cellular feature extraction. The candidate should be able to perform statistical analyses and data visualization using data analysis packages such as R, Python, and/or MATLAB. Preference will be given to individuals who have experience with monoplex and multiplex stain quantification (chromogenic and/or fluorescent) using various software platforms including Halo, Visiopharm, and Inform.
- Hands-on implementation/support of pathology whole slide image analysis tools and technology.
- Working alongside image scientists in the digital pathology group to manage, prepare and analyze pathology whole slide images to support Immuno-Oncology and other disease areas.
- Perform bioinformatics analyses and data visualization, including analytics associating image analysis features with response and survival data using cox regression models, hypothesis testing, ROC analysis, and other statistical tools
- Active participation in the testing of pathology image management and analysis systems, tools and technology
- Prepare and present findings from image analysis projects to other groups within BMS.
- Collaborate with other image scientists to propose, review and finalize future image analysis algorithm development and project work.
- PhD in Biomedical Engineering, Bioinformatics, Computer Science or related discipline; or M.S. with 3 or more years of related experience in a university pathology lab or pharmaceutical or biotech company
- Fluent in one or more digital pathology analysis software packages; including HALO, Visiopharm, Definiens, Inform and/or Aperio Image Analysis.
- Prior experience working within the biotech/pharma industry, processing and analyzing digitized pathology whole slide pathology images.
- Excellent programming skills in one or more analytics packages such as R, Python and/or MATLAB.
- Knowledge of various digital imaging scanner and/or experience imaging chromogen and fluorescent stains is desired.
- Prior experience in developing image analysis algorithms in feature extraction of tumor, stroma, and various cell types through stains and morphometric features is desired.
- Has developed and deployed image analysis workflows for capture, organization and storage in a GLP-like environment.
- Strong problem-solving and collaboration skills, and rigorous and creative thinking
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including an ability to collaborate effectively with lab scientists and pathologists
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and to handle several concurrent, fast-paced projects.
- The ability to work across organizations to define and solve problems that will benefit the whole. Capable of establishing strong working relationships across the organization.
- Background in Oncology/Immuno-Oncology and/or experience working with clinical trial data is a plus