Postdoctoral Fellow, RGC (2 openings)
The Regeneron Genetics Center (RGC) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Company, whose goals are to apply large scale human genetics to identify new drug targets and to guide the development of therapeutics programs and precision medicine. Building upon Regeneron's strengths in mouse genetics and genetics-driven drug discovery and development, the RGC specializes in ultra-high-throughput exome sequencing, large scale informatics and data analysis encompassing genomics and electronic health records, and translating genetic discoveries into new biology and drug discovery opportunities. The RGC leverages multiple approaches including large population based studies, Mendelian genetics and family based studies, founder population genetics, and large-scale disease focused projects and has developed a network of over 50 collaborations with research organizations around the world. Including some of the largest sequencing studies in the world, such as the DiscovEHR study in collaboration with Geisinger Health System, and an initiative to sequence 500,000 participants with the UK Biobank, the RGC has built one of the largest human genetics databases, including sequence data from over several hundred thousand participants and rapidly growing. Our interests encompass a breadth of different areas across all therapeutic areas and the RGC is highly integrated into all facets of research and development at Regeneron. Program goals include target discovery, indication discovery, and patient-disease stratification. Objectives include advancing basic science around the world through public sharing of discoveries, providing clinically-valuable insights to physicians and providers of collaborating health-care systems, improving patient outcomes, and identifying novel targets for drug development.
The postdoctoral fellow position is for early career scientist trainees to receive a rigorous scientific training at the Regeneron Genetics Center under the auspices of a scientist mentor for a training period up to 4-years. Fellows will be expected to conduct creative exploratory research that results in publishable data within their fellowship period.
The program will consist of:
• Four years of formal postdoctoral training in a program directed by an award-winning educator
• Exposure to the biotechnology industry's most successful and innovative scientists
• Opportunities to pursue cutting-edge, creative biomedical research in a prestigious, well- resourced, and highly driven industry environment
• Weekly postdoctoral scientist meetings to foster scientific rigor, creative thinking, critical reasoning, and career advancement
• Encouragement of scholarly productivity such as publications and conference presentations
As part of your Postdoctoral Training Program, you will:
• Conduct forward-looking, innovative, and creative research to address a novel scientific question of your choice under the auspices of a scientist mentor
• Publish and disseminate data via external conferences and peer-reviewed publications
• Assist with mentoring and teaching intern and other more junior trainees
• Participate in postdoctoral program activities such as weekly meetings and the annual research conference
• Present data internally, including at lab meetings, trainee meetings, and company wide seminars
• Provide ongoing reports of research progress to supervisors and program staff
Experience and Required Skills:
• Doctoral degree in a relevant discipline
• Scientists looking for their first or second postdoctoral training
• Superior scientific skills including critical and analytical thinking
• Demonstrated publication success as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications
• Good written and oral communication skills
• Ability to interact dynamically and constructively with scientific peers
• Note: occasional travel
Applications Accepted: October 1, 2018 - December 1, 2018
Letter of recommendation are required. (Please find additional details in online application)
Applications received after December 1, 2018 may not be considered.
Following the close date, please allow 3-4 months for review and interviews.
Targeted Start Date: July 2019
If you have an issue submitting or any questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application - Part II:
Once you submit your application, you will receive a link (within 1-week) with the following questions. Please take the time between your submission and your receipt of the link to think through the information you would like to share. This information will be included with application, CV and recommendation letters during the formal review. To ensure your application is reviewed by the Postdoctoral Fellowship Steering Committee, it is recommended that you complete Part II no later than December 1st, 2018.
• Is your primary interest to conduct research in Human Genetics? If so, you may prefer to apply for a postdoctoral position in the Regeneron Genetics Center.
• Is your primary interest to conduct research in functional modeling of human genetic mutations in animals? If so, you may also apply for a postdoctoral position in the Regeneron Genetics Center.
• Please provide a description of your current research (not to exceed 1000 words). Include in your description a clear statement of your research question and how your work addresses that question. The purpose of this exercise is to give the review committee perspective about your work and how it fits into the current context of your field.
• Please describe a research question that excites you scientifically and that you feel is an important line of inquiry for advancing our understanding of a particular field of biomedicine (please limit this statement to 500 words). Please note that these ideas do not need to fall in the realm of what you believe Regeneron works on, nor does it need to be a question that in any way relates to your own current or future research.
• You must submit 2 or more letters of Recommendation. These letters can be uploaded at the time that you complete the questionnaire (the link will be sent within 1-week of your application submission) or after.
This is an opportunity to join our select team that is already leading the way in the Pharmaceutical/Biotech industry. Apply today and learn more about Regeneron's unwavering commitment to combining good science & good business.
To all agencies: Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee of Regeneron about this opening. All resumes submitted by search firms/employment agencies to any employee at Regeneron via-email, the internet or in any form and/or method will be deemed the sole property of Regeneron, unless such search firms/employment agencies were engaged by Regeneron for this position and a valid agreement with Regeneron is in place. In the event a candidate who was submitted outside of the Regeneron agency engagement process is hired, no fee or payment of any kind will be paid.
Regeneron is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.