GDIT is HIRING a Pharmacokineticist to support USAMRIID. This will include support services in the area of pharmacokinetics; molecular biology; pharmacology and related fields. Will work with clinical pharmacology and pharmacokinetic modeling and relevant software platforms. The contractor will work with high performance liquid chromatography mass spectroscopy (HPLC-MS) sufficient to design and validate assays to determine the concentration of antimicrobial compounds in biological samples. Contractor will work with microbiological; molecular techniques and animal handling; particularly in a BSL-3 environment. Will work on projects of high importance; volume; and difficulty. Additionally; because of the pathogenic nature of the organisms to be studied; the contractor will execute laboratory techniques with skill and the utmost attention to safety considerations. Contractor must be able to work independently following a brief period of specific technical training.
- Design and implement Pharmacology capabilities within the Core Therapeutics section.
- Develop and validate high performance liquid chromatography mass spectroscopy (HPLC-MS) in 20 assay protocols to determine the concentration of antimicrobial compounds in animal sera; plasma; and/or tissue samples.
- Determine antimicrobial concentration in 200 experimental samples of animal sera; plasma; and/or tissue samples using a variety of assay systems; to include HPLC-MS and bioassays.
- Perform 20 assay protocols pharmacokinetic modeling of antimicrobial compounds and develop dosing schedules to achieve therapeutic MICs.
- Perform in vitro 100 antimicrobial assays to determine the minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) of compounds in Biosafety Level-2 and 3 (BSL-2/BSL-3) laboratories
- Perform 200 microbiological tasks with viable Bacillus anthracis spores and cells (anthrax); Yersinia pestis (plague); Burkholderia mallei (glanders); Burkholderia pseudomallei (melioidosis); and Francisella tularensis (tularemia) in a BSL-3 containment suite; which will include determining the viability of suspensions of organisms by plating onto nutrient agar media. Contractor will prepare and sterilize bacteriological media; reagents; and laboratory supplies.
- Support 20 animal studies and participate in challenge of various species of lab animals with viable cultures of bacterial agents. Support will include the collection of bodily fluid and tissue samples; euthanasia; necropsy; administration of therapeutic compounds and vaccines orally and by intraperitoneal; intramuscular; and subcutaneous injections.
- Prepare PK data/analysis for 10 technical reports that will be sent to the customers as well as the funding agencies.
- Optimize drug formulation and drug delivery to improve in vivo performance.
- Validate 7 antibiotic comparator compounds for which known PK data has been published.
- Prepare antimicrobials and vaccines for administration to animals in support of therapeutic experiments.
- Maintain necessary levels of documented training for working with laboratory animals; to include GLP studies.