Summary and Scope of Position:
Perform microbiological assays, including under GLP conditions, using a variety of human and non-human pathogens in the presence of blood components.
- Execute experiments, make observations, analyze data and interpret results, either independently or as a team member including experiments for product claims and regulatory submissions.
- Work with various viruses in BSL-2+ environments.
- Prepare and manipulate various blood products, including plasma, platelets and RBC.
- Develop, optimize and qualify or validate viral enumeration assays.
- Perform and appropriately document GLP and notebook studies.
- Participate in the validation of new methods.
- May present results of data at departmental or project meetings.
- Maintain laboratory instruments.
- Document work in laboratory notebook in an accurate and timely manner.
- Drafts summary reports, protocols and quantitative analyses.
- Maintain familiarity with current scientific literature.
- Contribute to project process within his/her scientific discipline.
- Assist in identifying patentable inventions.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent certification in a scientific discipline with a minimum of 4 years relevant experience, or
- Masters degree in a scientific discipline with a minimum 2 years of experience.
- Experience culturing mammalian cell culture.
- Experience working with viruses desirable.
- Experience working with human blood products desirable.
- Experience working in a GLP or other regulated environment.
- Proficient in writing reports, regulatory submissions and publications.
- Solid understanding of GLP/GMP requirements.
- Understanding of laboratory procedures, equipment, and computerized data handling.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Good analytical skills; problem-solving, trouble-shooting, innovative, resourceful.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Flexible; ability to adapt to changing priorities.
- Good communication skills (encompasses verbal, written, interpersonal, listening).
- Good time management (schedules, timelines, task prioritization).